Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Finest Compliments You've Ever Received

HepKitty

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
I know, I am humbled but still felt un-humble enough to repeat it!

Personal compliments are a little harder to post. I already have a problem with people thinking I am full of myself so I don't want to encourage that. And I guess I have a hard time accepting the personal compliments too (childhood trauma and all that).

But definitely the biggest compliment of my life was my husband asking me to marry him. Mi Amor! 18 years and counting.

Congratulations on your 18 years! :eusa_clap

Tough call isn't it. I don't take compliments well actually, it's really embarrassing. A friend I haven't talked to in a while tried to pay me a compliment yesterday but it turned out quite backhanded. He apologized today which was nice but I explained why it set me off. I can't stand vapid flattery. He thought he was being funny but it rubbed me the wrong way. Compliments only mean something when you're able to touch people's lives in some way.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Exactly. But we are always our own biggest critics too, sometimes you just have to let people love you the best they can...
And thanks aon the congrats, we are lucky!

Jan

One of the Regulars
Not the best, but one of the funnier ones by far...

I was slicking my hair, using the reflection of a car window and someone driving by yelled out "HEY ELVIS!" and gave me a thumbs up.

Even though my hair was styled completely different, it was funny.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
HepKitty said:
Tough call isn't it. I don't take compliments well actually, it's really embarrassing. A friend I haven't talked to in a while tried to pay me a compliment yesterday but it turned out quite backhanded. He apologized today which was nice but I explained why it set me off. I can't stand vapid flattery. He thought he was being funny but it rubbed me the wrong way. Compliments only mean something when you're able to touch people's lives in some way.

There are a lot of cultural differences involved in compliments, too. Some people are raised in a culture where they're given and accepted freely -- while others are not. Where I was raised, it was considered presumptuous to compliment others -- taking an inappropriate personal liberty -- unless you knew them very well. So it's still something I'm hesitant to do, even if I think the person is compliment-worthy.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Jan: lol that's too funny

Paisley: that's creepy. But then, working in a hospital I know just how needle-happy some of the medical types get and it's really kind of scary.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
The same guy had danced with my best friend a few times and hadn't said anything. Then, when I think he noticed we were friends, he said to her, "It's always a pleasure dancing with you, Kim." Kim and I laughed our heads off over that one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic