Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Fleet's In

Wild Root

Gone Home
Today is a day off of work and I had the opportunity to relax for a spell and enjoy a movie that is not very well known. Trickeration lent me a copy of ?¢‚Ǩ?ìThe Fleet?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s In?¢‚Ǩ? which is a great war time Paramount film staring Dorothy Lamour, Betty Hutton and Jimmy Dorsey?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s Orchestra.

The plot is that a sailor kisses a movie star by chance for a publicity shot at the will of the camera and then finds him self the toast of the town by the Navy. His ship mates place a bet that he couldn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t lay a wet one on this young lady in San Francisco know as ?¢‚Ǩ?ìThe Countess?¢‚Ǩ? who is a hard boiled diva who works in the Swing Land Ballroom known to shoot down any man who comes near played by Dorothy Lamour. Her roommate is Betty Hutton who plays a frantic, crazy, zany caricature that makes this film just a blast to watch.

The Dorsey Band is great to see with performances by Bob Eberly, and Helen O?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢Connell. Songs featured in this film are, ?¢‚Ǩ?ìTangerine?¢‚Ǩ?, ?¢‚Ǩ?ìIts somebody else?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s moon?¢‚Ǩ? ?¢‚Ǩ?ìIf you build a better mouse trap?¢‚Ǩ? and ?¢‚Ǩ?ìWhy doesn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t anything ever happen to me?¢‚Ǩ?.

Great songs, great clothes, funny acts, funny one liners! Just a all out fun war time film to watch.

I hope it comes out some time soon on DVD seeing the copy I borrowed was taken off of AMC some time ago. So, if any one ever has the chance to see this film, JUMP ON IT!

Yours truly,

=WR=

32.jpg

Thanks for the review! Sounds great. Hopefully AMC or TCM will play it (and several other classics) soon. I've noticed that AMC has been playing a whole lot of newer films lately, and that's got me steamed to no end.

Trying to kiss Dorothy Lamour, huh? I would have tried it without the bet! ;)

Richard

Wild Root

Gone Home
Friend, I feel the same about AMC as you do! Gets me all worked up! I say that as many members here should march up to the main offices and demand them to air American Movie Classics! With a year limit like from the first movies to 1965. Cut it off right there!

Yes, you'll have a better chance of seeing it on TCM since they seem to know what a classic movie is. In fact, you can request it on their web site and they'll play it in a month or so. Not sure but, it's worth a shot! Great movie for sure I know you'll dig it!

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner