Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Fragmentation Of History

When we travel one of our activitiies is touring grave yards. They are amazing repositories of local history. ....especially the well kept very old one. Easy to spot the waves of immigration by ethnicity, plague years/wars....overall fascinating way to spend an hour or two.

I even like the neglected ones.

On South Graham Street in Seattle, on the western slope of Beacon Hill, is such a cemetery. For decades and decades it was completely overgrown. Vandals had knocked over headstones and removed some of them. Now it’s being at least minimally maintained. At least it was last time drove by it.

Family cemeteries out in the countryside, the ones surrounded by white picket fences in the middle of planted fields, are practically the definition of bucolic charm.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
My Grandfather was in the Black Watch. I have a picture of him in full uniform including the busby.

Off on a tangent: been stuck inside this past week with post-Covid issues medical science now becoming
dimly aware of and trapsing around You Tube.
If you haven't seen a series called Sharpe's Rifles it is a fine series focused on the British Army
during the Napoleonic era. I am always on the lookout for any Black Watch appearance.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Off on a tangent: been stuck inside this past week with post-Covid issues medical science now becoming
dimly aware of and trapsing around You Tube.
If you haven't seen a series called Sharpe's Rifles it is a fine series focused on the British Army
during the Napoleonic era.
Sharpe's Rifles is the first of the Sharpe television dramas, based on Bernard Cornwell's 1988 novel of the same name. Shown on ITV in 1993, the adaptation stars Sean Bean, Daragh O'Malley and Assumpta Serna. It began a long series of successful and critically acclaimed television adaptations of the novels. The drama tells the story of Richard Sharpe, an ambitious and hardened soldier from Yorkshire. The story follows the exploits of Sharpe and his band of chosen men through Spain after they survive an ambush by French cavalry.

Filming took place in the Crimea, Portugal and England, during which Paul McGann who was the original actor cast for the role of Richard Sharpe, broke his leg and was quickly replaced with Sean Bean.

Miss it and you will miss one of the most memorable television, transposed from literary, war time dramas ever to be screened.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
The drama tells the story of Richard Sharpe, an ambitious and hardened soldier from Yorkshire.

I've caught a brief touch of Sharpe, know he was commissioned in the field by Wellington,
no less, serves with an elite group armed with the Baker Rifle, a fine weapon with a seven-twist 30" grooved
barrel fitted .625 caliber ball for a standard effective range of 200 yards. Said Baker wielded by a soldier
in the 95th Rifles felled a French general, then his aide at an estimated 600 yards with two shots fired
from the supine using sling. Extraordinary rifle and marksmanship demonstrating individual lethality
and professionalism.

The bits caught on YouTube included several dueling scenes, sword and pistol, outstanding acting.
Another brief episode showed Sharpe teaching quick load under three minutes to raw recruits,
and a last segment where Sharpe, using a Baker assassinates the Duke of Orange for cowardice.
I need to order the complete series and the books.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner