Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The freaking X Beaver

Canadave

One Too Many
Art Fawcett said:
...Well BB, hopefully it's about the custom fit, the attention to detail by ONE person, not a factory full...

Exactly! And would a factory give you this kind of ribbon detail, just because they thought you would like it (and then be worried that you might not)? I love it, by the way. Thanks again, Art.

PanamaRibbonS.JPG

David

ScottFree

Suspended
Hi John and Art, you guys seem to know your stuff about hats. Can you guys please tell me your experience in hat making , ie; how long you have been doing so etc.

I am interested in several hats but I want to choose my hatter carefully. I am currently leaning toward the Optimo company but I see thier web site is not up and also I have some concerns about it appearing to be Australia Based.

Can any one shed any light on this ?

Can you guys tell me more about your hat experience ?

Cheers

Scott

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
HI Scott,
As the world of hatters go I'm very new to the scene. I have been in the vintage clothing business with my wife for the last 18 years and as part of that I started learning how to renovate and enlarge hats for the store and to rent to the film industry for use in films. Over the last 15 years I have bought out 3 defunct hat shops around the country for the equipment and have been in search of tools every place I can find them. I am basically self taught through trial & error and whatever tidbits others have offered, along with whatever reading material I have been able to collect. Last weekend was the auction for our business ( we are retiring from 3 of the 4 businesses we own) and in that auction I sold approx 1200 vintage hats that i had collected over the years, some renovated, some not.
In short, I don't consider myself a "real" hatter when compared to others around the country who make it a full time career and have apprenticed in the field. The hat shop is the only business I am keeping in my retirement so hopefully I will improve enough doing it full time to be able to compare myself with the pros in good conscience. Yes, I do feel knowledgeable in the field and have had thousands of hats pass through my hands so I have definite ideas of the artistry of it but only time will tell as to my real talent.
Rocky Mt Hats has a great rep in the industry as does Optimo. BTW, Optimo is based in Chicago and I consider Graham a trusted friend and excellent hatter. He is one of the guys I can always call for advise.
Hope this helps

Art

Art Fawcett said:
Last weekend was the auction for our business ( we are retiring from 3 of the 4 businesses we own) and in that auction I sold approx 1200 vintage hats that i had collected over the years, some renovated, some not.

No one really understands just how many hats Art had until you sit down and watch them at such an auction. He had some very cool old hats that have super historical significance. Not to mention the clothing. ;) So I can attest to how many have been through his hands----including some of mine. :p
Look familiar Art?:

Amish-sideview.jpg

Amish-inside-2.jpg

Mine, Mine, Mine! I am a happy miser. :p

Regards to all,

J

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
mthatter said:
I am awaiting some montecristis Robert is picking out for us on his trip. Can't wait to start working them up. The soft hat is not our specialty at this time but I have been making some up, more just out of curiosity since I started reading this forum.

Hi John,

Are you going to use Western blocks on the Montecristis? That would be interesting, but perhaps a hard sell to customers used to regular Western straws.

What are your initial impressions on working with the soft felt bodies? Just wondering if you find them easier or harder to work on than the stiffer felts.

Brad

ScottFree

Suspended
Thank you Art and John. I have one hat on order prior to being approved for this forum.

I emailed Optimo numerous times with no replies.

I was not familiar with Art at this time but it sounds as if he is learning the trade well.

I probably made a mistake by ordering a beaver hat from a seeming erratic hatter guy, but then his emails were prompt and he seemed very knowledgeable and all the reviews I read about him suggest his hats are pristine. I always got lightening fast email replies and the photos of the hats he sent at my request all looked positively impeccable. I continue to obsess that I still made a mistake here but only time will tell .

Does any one that resides on this forum have any hats from the Gladhatter ? If so what is your experience? I sure hate to spend good money and not be satisfied. I have been slightly or more uncomfortable after reading some of the posting by him however his emails are all timely and professional. Any advice here would be appreciated.

Are there other hatters available I may consider. Hopefully one that will correspond by email and also not make a public spectacle of themselves.

I was leaning heavily toward Optimo from the beginning but now I am a little concerned about the lack of response.

Does any one else seem to be having issues reaching Optimo by Email?

Cheers

Scott

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
Scott Freeman said:
I probably made a mistake by ordering a beaver hat from a seeming erratic hatter guy, but then his emails were prompt and he seemed very knowledgeable and all the reviews I read about him suggest his hats are pristine. I always got lightening fast email replies and the photos of the hats he sent at my request all looked positively impeccable. I continue to obsess that I still made a mistake here but only time will tell .

Does any one that resides on this forum have any hats from the Gladhatter ? If so what is your experience? I sure hate to spend good money and not be satisfied. I have been slightly or more uncomfortable after reading some of the posting by him however his emails are all timely and professional. Any advice here would be appreciated.

I have a pure beaver made by Gladhatter. It is an excellent quality hat with top-notch workmanship. However, you are going to pay out the nose for it. Is it worth it? That is up to you and your definition of worth. He is a certifiable nut case, but so are a few other hatters (makes you wonder if they really did take the mercury out). His posts on his own forum should not be used as an indication of hat quality or customer service. Both are top notch. Here is my review of my GH beaver hat.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=1234

ScottFree

Suspended
Hi BD, that sure is a nice testimonial and if I may say so some what of a relief for me. I usually do not do impulsive shopping but I was so impressed by his emails, that I was caught up in the moment and ordered what he deems as 1500x's quality beaver.

I received a halo looking plastic ring and determined that I am not 7 5/8 as I long thought I was but actually just over 7 1/2 long oval. I was shocked as I have always worn 7 5/8 but seems they were a little snug in front and rear but lose on the sides. I am not sure if this makes much sense or not.

You are correct that the hats seem to be a little pricy but I always try to get full value purchases. He offered a 50% discount but I feared if I accepted this then I may be shorted on quality. I looked for similar rated hats on the internet and found some custom hats that exceeded 5000.00.

At my age, I feel I should invest in the best things I can afford. But on trying to make contact with the hatters I find none seem to return emails and this is partly what prompted me in this direction.

I genuinely hope I have not made a terrible error and feel a lot more comfortable now.

Oh Yes! I do see the photo of you in the hat now from the accompanying link. I do not own but have always wanted an Indiana Jones style as well. This one looks like you are a model paid to advertise it . Its spectacular for sure. I fear at my age, it will still look fine but never perfect as yours.
I signed up on the indy gear forum as well to explore possibilities for such a hat. I hope to get some responses there as well.

Sorry for this lengthy wording but now you have me more excited than fearful.

Cheers

Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy