Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The general decline in standards today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Riiiiggghhhttt. And it has been wrong for fifty years as we know that discipline was far more strict during the Civil War Era. I didn’t see the rebellion after that or before.
It was due to not ENOUGH discipline not too much. Lol lol

You weren't there obviously. There was plenty of corporal punishment, it was still legal for a teacher to spank, and male teachers would hall off and sock you. Today, the Nuns would be sued for what they did in the 60s and 70s! As you said, less then a quarter of the 76,400,000 Baby Boomers were Hippies, and most of those were only pretend Hippies, trying to impress the girls.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
You weren't there obviously. There was plenty of corporal punishment, it was still legal for a teacher to spank, and male teachers would hall off and sock you. Today, the Nuns would be sued for what they did in the 60s and 70s! As you said, less then a quarter of the 76,400,000 Baby Boomers were Hippies, and most of those were only pretend Hippies, trying to impress the girls.

I wonder what percentage of those 76,400,000 went to parochial school? The only nuns I ever encountered were the nurses at the hospital where I had my tonsils out. Most of us went to public school -- overburdened, underfunded public schools where teachers struggled to keep classloads of forty kids under control.

(Edited to add: at the peak of parochial-school enrollment in the United States, which occured in 1965, about 12 percent of school-age American children were attending such institutions. So we can generously estimate that the tough-old-nun experience was shared by maybe an eighth of the boomer population.)

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And that is a salient point. Only 25% of the youths in the 60s and 70s were hippies but they were all over TV and infecting the culture of the US. In certain areas though, they were FAR more concentrated.

That latter point is very significant. I don't imagine the South or the Rocky Mountain West got much of the hippie excitement -- because the greatest concentrations of the population weren't those locations. But the West Coast and the mid-Atlantic Northeast, where the greatest population concentration *did* exist got the greatest concentration of hippiedom, just as they get the greatest concentration of other subcultures today.

We can E Pluribus Unum all we want, but America's not one unified country and never has been. The South is as different from the Northeast as Belgium is from Sweden.

As for me, I grew up in a town where "the sixties" never happened. We saw what was going on in San Francisco or Boston or New York and it might have as well have been happening on the moon for all the relevance it had to our lives. But I'm also acutely aware that my experience was not typical or in any way representative of my generation -- it was an anomaly of culture and geography. Kent State, for example, meant absolutely nothing to me, or to anyone I knew. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a definitive experience of that era.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Exactly! This is exactly what I was writing about and how it TRULY happened. I am about the same age as you and I don’t want to belong to any of those “groups” they put people in.

The more I think about it, the more I realize people our age have a great deal in common with the back end of the Human Centipede. We're stitched to the tail of the boomer generation, and pretty much all we get out of it is....

Finally, you have seen the light!

As I said, that statistic means nothing without consideration of the population concentration. Out here they were every where screwing up EVERYTHING. So I KNOW what effect they have on the culture and just in case you forget, things like all the stupid bans and fashion styles start here and make their way across the country because of the aforementioned chumpification of America. Just 25% screwed up A LOT.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
You know why ey didn't appear in the south Lizzie? They SHOT em, like in "Easy Rider!"

I'm right with Mr. Powers in my dislike for the dope-smoking flea-bitten shiftless D&S&R&R type of hippie. But when hippies finally arrived in Maine we got a different sort -- we got the kids who'd had enough of the Boys From Marketing, and came up here to live off the land. Nobody lazy or shiftless has ever succeeded in living off the land in Maine -- the first winter here sent all the playcationers a-shivering back where they came from. Those who survived turned out to be pretty decent people -- a lot of them are still here, living on farms or in houses they built with their own hands out in the woods. I don't care for their taste in music, some of them really need to bathe more often, and I'd like to see the weed-growers run out of the country -- but overall I respect most of them and even like some of them.

That spankification was LONG gone here by the 60s and 70s. I WAS here.
They couldn’t touch you here to save their lives---thanks to----you got it the WWII generation parents and their Spockification.
You really need to define WHERE you were located back then. Obviously you were nowhere near the nexus and therefore you didn’t see it operating in the same way I did.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
I'm right with Mr. Powers in my dislike for the dope-smoking flea-bitten shiftless D&S&R&R type of hippie. But when hippies finally arrived in Maine we got a different sort -- we got the kids who'd had enough of the Boys From Marketing, and came up here to live off the land. Nobody lazy or shiftless has ever succeeded in living off the land in Maine -- the first winter here sent all the playcationers a-shivering back where they came from. Those who survived turned out to be pretty decent people -- a lot of them are still here, living on farms or in houses they built with their own hands out in the woods. I don't care for their taste in music, some of them really need to bathe more often, and I'd like to see the weed-growers run out of the country -- but overall I respect most of them and even like some of them.

Unfortunately this is still going on here in Vermont - and the dumbarse flatlanders who come up here are continually trying to change the state into a faxsmilie of the place they left. I wish the whole lot would pack up and head to Maine! :eeek:

You're describing Grizzly Adams not the hippies we have here. lol lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Unfortunately this is still going on here in Vermont - and the dumbarse flatlanders who come up here are continually trying to change the state into a faxsmilie of the place they left. I wish the whole lot would pack up and head to Maine! :eeek:

That's a whole nother ball game. The back-to-the-landers weren't here to gentrify. They drove up here in old Volkswagens and headed straight into the woods, and you rarely saw them in town. They kept to themselves, and didn't try to impose themselves on the rest of the community.

The boomers we've been getting here since the '80s, however, are the other kind -- upper-middle-class types who call the living room "the great room," drive his and hers Lexuses, and take out nomination papers for the Board of Selectmen before their minimalist furniture is off the truck. They're the ones I wish would head over to the shore and keep driving East.

That's a whole nother ball game. The back-to-the-landers weren't here to gentrify. They drove up here in old Volkswagens and headed straight into the woods, and you rarely saw them in town. They kept to themselves, and didn't try to impose themselves on the rest of the community.

The boomers we've been getting here since the '80s, however, are the other kind -- upper-middle-class types who call the living room "the great room," drive his and hers Lexuses, and take out nomination papers for the Board of Selectmen before their minimalist furniture is off the truck. They're the ones I wish would head over to the shore and keep driving East.

Funny how things come full circle. During and after WWII we had plenty of carpet baggers coming out here from back East doing the same thing out here. I am glad some of them have made their way back after a few generations. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo