Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ghost and the Darkness

DnSchlng

One of the Regulars
anyone please tell me what they thought of the 1996 movie The Ghost and the Darkness, starring Micheal Douglas and Val Kilmore

Doug C

Practically Family
I liked it alot, have it on DVD too, Val Kilmer does a good job (of course) and I like the setting, story too. I like Michael Douglas in this one too.

Doug C

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Quite good, actually! A dramatization of course, but made me want to know more about the actual event. The lions are on display somewhere now, much smaller than their original size - they'd been cut to rugs after they were killed and only later stuffed for display. If I remember correctly, they were both females. I recomend it if you haven't already seen it.

http://home.texoma.net/~hardini/lions_of_tsavo.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsavo_maneaters

-dixon cannon

Hondo

One Too Many
I also enjoyed it, Val Kilmer did an excellent job, so did Michael Douglas, his character reminded me is his role in "Romancing The Stone" without the humor, more real, great film.

Doug C

Practically Family
Actually, I read (I think..it's been a long time since I thought about it) that the lions were both Males but were both with-out manes of hair on their heads and it's thought that they were outcast by other lions because of this. Therefore they found it hard to live as normal lions would. Also, I distinctly remember finding a website a few years back that had black and white vintage pictures of the cave that the pair lived in, and that was full of bones including human ones. That cave had long since been forgotten until someone recently found it again and took new pictures of it. The website compared the two pictures and the folage around it was a little different but you could tell it was the same place, some 100+ years later. BTW, the lions are on display at the Smithsonian Field Museum I believe.

Doug C

eightbore

Suspended
The Patterson lions are on display at the Chicago Field Museum. What causes a maneater is of course a topic of debate but it was likely a matter of age. Older males get booted out of prides by younger interlopers looking to breed. Being less physically able to hunt, they look for easier prey as did the female that was causing problems during this years' Zimbabwe Professional Hunter's Exam. Don Heath's description states that this lioness apparently was quite the granny lacking any teeth whatsoever. No real surprise that "usual" prey became unattractive to her as humans are much slower and lacking the usual defenses lions come to expect. :)

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1411043/m/693101747

Best,

eightbore

P.S. Michael Douglas made up his character to stroke his own ego. It's too bad as there was no need to enhance an already interesting story.

eightbore

Suspended
I read that article a while ago, Smithy! I'd say the likelihood of Kenya getting those lions back is about 1/10 that of Egypt getting Nefertiti's bust returned...which ain't all that much.

Best,

eightbore

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
They sound just fine where they are. I'd love to see them one day. So they're one my list when I visit Chicago.

Cheers,

Smithy.

nyx

One of the Regulars
eightbore said:
The Patterson lions are on display at the Chicago Field Museum. What causes a maneater is of course a topic of debate but it was likely a matter of age. Older males get booted out of prides by younger interlopers looking to breed.

I read an article saying that there is evidence that the lions also had some abcessed teeth, making it hard for them to hunt and kill prey with harder hides. Humans were easy to catch and have nice easy to bite through skin (was the the theory anyway--I'm not speaking from experience :D ) I think the same article said the lions had been digging up the recently deceased members of the crew and got the taste for it as well. *Edit: I just went back and realized that was the wikipedia article included at the top :eusa_doh: I read it awhile back and didn't realize it had been included in the first post. Oops!

I have to say that the taxidermist did a FANTASTIC job restoring the skins in the museum after what they had been through. Although, it's a shame because the lions were apparently much bigger originally.

Feraud

Bartender
The Patterson story is a great read.

I also have read about a potential tooth problem that caused the lions to seek out weaker prey.

About the manes... there is an article I cannot now find that discusses the Tsavo area lions.
It discusses how the lions are not all totally maneless but have variations of classic manes. There is apparently also a genetic flaw in these lions that probably contribute to the physical features of these lions.

I will try to find this fascinating article..

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I saw it some years ago, thought it was a good story; interesting, exciting and quite scary. Both Kilmer and Douglas acted well in it.

Also, there were some nice hats in that film, Kilmer's especially.

karol

Gatsby84

Familiar Face
I originally read about this story in a compilation book by P. H. Capstick, if I remember correctly... and I was captivated by it. I just bought the movie on dvd the other day and have watched it several times. I think it's a great movie, although some aspects seem a bit "Hollywoodish". I recommend reading the book (the one by Patterson himself) before watching the movie.
-Allen

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Very Sharp!

Very under rated film!

I liked the unseen aspect, then to suddenly realize there are two of them was excellent!!

Loved it on the big screen!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn