Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Gleason Fedora

cmalbrecht

Familiar Face
I just watched The Penguin Pool Murder (1932) starring James Gleason as a homicide detective. He wears his beautiful fedora like a crown (claims it's his favorite and he's had it for five years [ in the movie]). It seems a little high in the crown for his face, but it's still a great hat. And it turns out that a hat is an important clue as well. This Hildegarde Withers flick turns up every so often on TCM as do some others of the series.:rolleyes: .

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
This one?

I am not familiar with the actor you are talking about, but I found this photo of the moie online. Is this the hat youa re talking about?

pneguinpoolmurders.jpg

Jim2903

One of the Regulars
I thought he meant the Great One, too, before I opened the thread. But I'm quite familiar with James Gleason (thought not this particular film), a prolific character actor of the 1930s and '40s.

cmalbrecht

Familiar Face
OH no no. That's Sheriff Buford T. Justice.
I'm talking about James Gleason, an actor with a history running from about 1922 to 1958. He often played detectives, he also played Incpector Queen in the old Ellery Queen movie series starring Ralph Bellamy (a wonderful actor but horribly miscast in this series) I"m sure you'd recognize his lean sourpuss if you saw him. :)
The guy in the Penguin Pool pic you post is Robert Armstrong (most famous for the original King Kong flick). I don't know why they showed that particular photo on the poster. It starred Edna Mae Oliver as Hildegarde Withers, an American Miss Marple.
A great site to check up not only on movies and/or actors, but charactors and just about everyting on film is:
Oops, my memory ain't what it used to be. Charlie Grapwin played Inspector Queen in the old Ellery Queen movies. I had James Gleason in my mind because I always thought he perfectly fit the book description of his "birdlike" face and expressions.
http://www.imdb..com

theinterchange

One Too Many
Now that I took the time to do a bit of research... I've seen James Gleason in Arsenic and Old Lace among other things. He was also the old timer in that cheesy Sinatra flick, Suddenly.

Randy

P.S I'm not a stranger to IMDb... I visit it almost daily for one reason or another. Usually to check out the birthday section.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Please...allow me, I am a Google expert. Hmmm... don't recognize the name, but the face looks familiar.

6621-896.gif

Ah-Ha! Is this the Penguin Pool Murder fedora???

gleason-j.jpg

theinterchange

One Too Many
Chuck Bobuck said:
Please...allow me, I am a Google expert. Hmmm... don't recognize the name, but the face looks familiar.

6621-896.gif

Ah-Ha! Is this the Penguin Pool Murder fedora???

gleason-j.jpg

He was hilarious in Arsenic and Old Lace [one of my favorite films]. Shame I didn't recognize him by name though.

Randy

cmalbrecht

Familiar Face
Great pics of Mr. Gleason, but that's not quite the hat in Penguin. It has a high crown, no trim on the brim, and is bashed in almost equally on the sides with a long crease down the center. Usually he wore it brim down in front but when perplexed, etc., he might turn it up.:)

cmalbrecht

Familiar Face
Great pics of Mr. Gleason. The hat in the movie is much like the one in the top pic, but has no trim on the brim, the crown is high and almost equally bashed on both sides and creased down the middle. Mostly he wears it brim down in front, but when perplexed or something, he may tip the brim up. He wore the same hat or a very similar hat in "The Blackboard Murder". Evidently he made a few other appearances as Inspector Piper, but with different women portraying Hildegarde Withers. I haven't had the opportunity to see them.

After seeing the pic of Sheriff Justice posted I have to mention the one line I'll never forget.
They're driving down the road and his son (Clint Walker), says: "Look out, Daddy. There's an alligator in the road."
The sheriff swerves to miss the alligator and says: "That reminds me, I better call your mother.":eusa_doh:

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
cmalbrecht said:
Great pics of Mr. Gleason. The hat in the movie is much like the one in the top pic, but has no trim on the brim, the crown is high and almost equally bashed on both sides and creased down the middle. Mostly he wears it brim down in front, but when perplexed or something, he may tip the brim up. He wore the same hat or a very similar hat in "The Blackboard Murder". Evidently he made a few other appearances as Inspector Piper, but with different women portraying Hildegarde Withers. I haven't had the opportunity to see them.

The Plot Thickens. Not this thread, I mean this pic is from the movie "The Plot Thickens". :)

theplotthickens.jpg

nulty

One of the Regulars
James Gleason always seems to have a hat a little too high in the crown. a touch too wide in the brim and is often askew atop of his seemingly small head.....total class in my book......:eusa_clap

cmalbrecht

Familiar Face
I agree. Mr. Gleason's hats almost look too large for him, but he wears them with style.
I haven't seen the Withers pics with Zazu Pitts or the other lady, but would like to.
I've seen Penguin Pool Murder and Murder on the Blackboard. Those two show up on TCM every so often, but not the others.

theinterchange

One Too Many
nulty said:
James Gleason always seems to have a hat a little too high in the crown. a touch too wide in the brim and is often askew atop of his seemingly small head.....total class in my book......:eusa_clap

I agree, he wears hats with a unique style that suits him well.

Randy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy