Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Glove

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
With all the cold weather, does anyone have anything special in the way of gloves?

Other than the Well & Lamont Indy gloves, I have a modest pair of brown and black gloves from Wilson's Leather.

Brown_gloves.jpg

black_gloves.jpg

I know back in the eighteenth or ninteenth century is would have been impolite to extend a bare hand when greeting a person. So, men had gloves for every occasion. This created quite a collection.

I was just wondering if anyone had anything vintage?

Cheers,
Pyro.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Hmmm...

Well, over the years I have seen so many pairs of ladies vintage gloves. Just like everything in vintage, there seems to be more of ladies clothing including gloves than mens attire. I have yet to really find any spectacular vintage men's gloves, other than the classic white, which are nice when wore with tales and top hat. I movie I really enjoy because of the 18th Century clothing is "The Age of Innocence". Check it out, the age of gloves and tales at dinner.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've got a few pairs of woolen fingerless gloves. They have that old style working class/ thug kind of look. And for warmth, I found a great pair of distressed leather gloves a couple of years ago at American Eagle of all places, and they really look cool!
flat-top

Gloves

Hello: Try "Dents" gloves they are really nice from the UK,or the Peccary(basically pigskin) are really the nicest,a bit pricey.My wife bought a pair for me 5 yrs ago still in fine shape.Just google peccary gloves.PS they are alpaca lined.Brian.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I've got a pair of old gray Dents with big m.o.p. buttons. Nice gloves, not too bulky and keep the bite of the wind off.

Edward

Bartender
I have a few pairs of gloves I use regularly:

A couple of pairs of brown leather ones that belonged to my grandfather - quite possibly 150s, certainly no later than 1960s. One pair I use a lot in Winter, the others are almost new, a 'spare.' Both in a rich, cognac brown colour.

One pair black lambskin Chester Jeffries gloves, lined in black silk. Ideal for this time of year, soft and not too warm. I'm planning to buy something similar again, perhaps unlined this time, at some future point.

One pair black leather gloves, apparently a repro of a Luftwaffe pilot's gloves circa WW2. Bought for the style rather than anything to do with military history. I purchased these for about GBP20, new. Really nice gloves, warm and sturdy.

For very cold weather, and in more casual dress, I have a pair of what are referred to as "Belfast gloves" - so named because gloves of this design were issued to serving squaddies in Belfast back in the 80s. Black, though otherwise very similar to the A-10 design. That cotton cuff really helps to keep the cold out and the heat in. I wore these in NYC during February 2005, in one of the coldest snaps they had had in some years, and they really did the job.

Beyond that, I have several pairs of cotton gloves - two white, for formal evening wear, two grey for formal daywear (and general wear with an appropriate Lounge suit in Summer), and one pair of cheap brown riding gloves, again worn in Summer. I might pick up a black pair or two eventually also. I find cotton gloves great in hot weather - keeps the Sun off that bit more of my skin (always a priority for me), and help to keep my hands cooler while wicking sweat away from them. As an added bonus, when wearing these on the tube, I find that it keep the dirt out of my finger nails. anyone who has travelled on public transport in London will know all about that!

I would very much like to have a pair of those Eastman gloves, though to be honest I'm still rather taken aback by the price of them. Bear in mind I've never paid more than GBP30 for a pair of gloves.... and the Belfast gloves, which those seem closest to, cost me a grand total of GBP12. [huh]

One question re gloves for formal wear: what was the appropriate choice to go with black tie? Would black leather be the option (removing them once indoors), or were white glvoes ever worn? I thought about white cotton, but it looked a bit 'cheap conjurer' to my eye. :rolleyes:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Nick D said:
I've got a pair of old gray Dents with big m.o.p. buttons. Nice gloves, not too bulky and keep the bite of the wind off.

Can you please go into this a bit more? "Dents?" Are they leather or cloth?

I've been on the hunt for proper gloves for years. They don't seem to exist.

Jeff Naylor

New in Town
I'm planning to order a couple of pairs from Chester Jefferies in the next few weeks. I've not owned a pair myself, but I've seen some of their work and they're great. Completely MTO and seem to be fairly priced.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
scotrace said:
Can you please go into this a bit more? "Dents?" Are they leather or cloth?

I've been on the hunt for proper gloves for years. They don't seem to exist.

Here they are. Very soft leather, big buttons to facilitate getting them on and off.

DSC08591.jpg

DSC08593.jpg

DSC08594.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Holy SMOKE! There they are!

Great Jumpin' Clown Pants! Those are THE gloves I've been hunting since I joined this place!!!

OK - does that stamps say "Dente?" How old are they? Still made?
Help me nail this down please? They're amazing!!!

Creeping Past

One Too Many
scotrace said:
Help me nail this down please? They're amazing!!!

They sell 'em in Selfridges. A couple of Christmases back, the last time I went there, you had to walk right past them on the way in.

Not sure about whether the exact same style's still around, though...

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I got them for 11 pounds at a vintage fair in town. I'm not sure of the age, but I'd estimate 40s perhaps, based on the other things that the vendor had which came from the same house. Anyone know how to date gloves?

Just took a look at the Dent's website. :eek: I really got a bargain!

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
More vintage gloves

Some more of my gloves. First a pair of USN WW2 gloves / mitts. Goatskin with wool lining.

IMG_1827.jpg

Second, a pair of F-2 electrically heated gloves. These are beautiful. A little moth-eaten in the lining but i'll live with that for $30. ;)

IMG_1828.jpg

IMG_1831.jpg

Cheers,
DDR

Marzipan

One of the Regulars
Long white kid gloves

I just bought a pair of long white kid gloves on ebay yesterday and am so excited to receive them! I'm planning on wearing them with my pink and white tweed fur-collared coat (faux, of course!) and a pink beret. Yay!

LordBest

Practically Family
I intend to purchase a nice pair of "Man About Town" Gloves from Chester Jefferies, anyone have any recommendations for the type of leather? I like deerskin but hogskin, as I understand it, is more desirable which I presume is to do with its quality?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy