Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Golden Era's *ugliest* clothes

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hestia said:
4073564745_875e7c6695.jpg

Her hair looks like brisket.

Amy Jeanne said:

But then again, her hair looks like a meringue pie. Hm...I think I may be hungry.

LD

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Apart from a couple I have to say that so far I like it all, mind you I do like a 40's freakshow outfit, that's why I love the 40's!

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
cecil said:

I'm fascinated by this dress! When is it from? What does it look like from the front? Is it haute couture (if so, who designed it)?..

Lady Day said:
Now I know there is *tons* of 50s stuff that is just beyond the word ugly, so lets aim for 20-40s.

I'd like to see some 50s stuff too if you don't mind, since I can't think of anything ugly off the top of my head (it's true!).

Lillemor

One Too Many
I think those 40s hairstyles are lovely. I'd also like to own some of the stuff posted on here simply for the novelty. As far as being seen in posted garments in public...that's another thing. I like hairstyles that emulate hat styles. I think I could only appreciate and feel comfortable wearing 40s styles if they're "nutty" enough.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
cherry lips said:
I'm fascinated by this dress! When is it from? What does it look like from the front? Is it haute couture (if so, who designed it)?..

I'd like to see some 50s stuff too if you don't mind, since I can't think of anything ugly off the top of my head (it's true!).

Sure, why not :)

LD

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Oh my gosh, I love it! I would totally wear that dress! Don't dig the wrap thing, though. Kind of looks like my cat's tail when he gets scared.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
I dig the bottom dress in a big way. How fun to accessorize something like that! The top one, though, with the atomic caterpillar arms is like its own entity. (I wonder if she named it?)

cecil

A-List Customer
cherry lips said:

Elsa Schiaparelli, one of the most famous of the time. Mid thirties. Google "Schiaparelli ribcage dress" for more photos!

bettydarling

One of the Regulars
AllaboutEve said:
Apart from a couple I have to say that so far I like it all, mind you I do like a 40's freakshow outfit, that's why I love the 40's!

I agree allabouteve, I really like the dresses in the first post, fashion taste subjective. Something someone really dislikes could be very much someone else's cup of tea! Has anyone heard of this little fashionista: www.tavi-thenewgirlintown.blogspot.com/ ? She's incredible, she wears really unusual avant garde clothes that would be hideous on someone else but its her personality and sense of style that makes her so original and quirky. I guess having a sense of personal style can make something which is perceived as ugly look beautiful because of who is wearing it and how it is worn.

“Above all, remember that the most important thing you can take anywhere is not a Gucci bag or French-cut jeans; it's an open mind”
Gail Rubin Bereny

cecil

A-List Customer
Magdalena said:
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I agree! I really dont think it looks that bad. I would probably sew it to show less clevage.

To me, it's a great design that's been poorly executed. She looks like she has been hit with a strong gust of wind.

Confused

Speaking of Elsa Sciapparelli, here she is sporting a most unattractive combination.

elsa3.jpg

I'm thinking perhaps she had to unexpectedly keep a speaking engagement and had just washed her hair at the dormitory in the nearby girl's college and raided closets on her way to the car?

I really think one of her surrealist creations would suit her much better.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Idledame said:
This is the wrong era, (it's 1983), but it is soooo bad maybe it can be an honorable member of this thread. Could it be a joke? I know I didn't wear anything like that in 1983!
6a00d83451ccbc69e2012875918911970c-400wi

I know I did, because I have the pictures to prove it. However, in 1983 I was 10 years old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran