Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Golden Era's *ugliest* clothes

Big Baby Macoy

New in Town
C-Dot, I agree with some of your points but.....

First, I will agree with you, she is getting tons of attention and if you don't get some sort of reaction from Lady Gaga (love, hate, obsession, maybe even a bit of disgust ) then you must be brain dead. But every move Miss Gaga makes it calculated and executed to perfection. She might be a bit dark and quite a talented performance artist...but at the end of the day she is a pop. Not that their is anything wrong with that...
C-dot said:
I don't think shes trying to be "cute" or attractive. She's trying to shock, and get reactions from people.

She's doing a good job ;)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Of course, it's all about promoting popularity. Calculated or not, it's working.

It would not be my wish to become a pop star, nor would I be excited to meet one, but you can't deny she's successful (in whatever shes trying to do.)

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
They look like they came from "Alice the Goon's" shoe closet.
AlicetheGoon.jpg

ok maybe her dress shoes

Christy said:
I agree. I'm always excited to see what she's going to wear. Her outfits are so over the top but they are fun to look at and I think she's the only person that can pull it off. I'd never be caught dead in the things she wears but it works for her.

The shoes Fleur was talking about, McQueenadillos:
tumblr_ks8vliKr6k1qz9sp2o1_500.jpg

They do look like Armadillos in a way. That's the first thing my fiance said when he saw them.

Edited to add a link to more photos of the shoes: http://cocoperez.com/2009-11-11-mcqueenadillos-could-be-yours

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
not to nit pick but it's Schiaparelli (ski-op) not Sciaparelli (she-op).

Hamilton_Honey said:
Speaking of Elsa Sciapparelli, here she is sporting a most unattractive combination.

elsa3.jpg

I'm thinking perhaps she had to unexpectedly keep a speaking engagement and had just washed her hair at the dormitory in the nearby girl's college and raided closets on her way to the car?

I really think one of her surrealist creations would suit her much better.

cecil

A-List Customer
St.Ignatz said:
not to nit pick but it's Schiaparelli (ski-op) not Sciaparelli (she-op).

Ha! Wow, I've always spelled it correctly but I've been pronouncing it wrong. Luckily I 'say' it on the internet alot more than I say it in real life. She's my favourite designer, so that could have been very embarassing lol Thankyou!

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
swinggal said:
I've always hated these 1938 sandals designed by Salvatore Ferragamo. Just aweful.

h2_1973.282.2.jpg

Here are some odd 2008 Ferragamos. It's kind of interesting to compare and contrast.

boot-1.jpg

The future is here...

Those Ferragamos immediately reminded me of this video - right about 0:50 "skirts will disappear completely and shoes will have cantilevered heels" !!

[YOUTUBE]<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/txaR2HvnwVg&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/txaR2HvnwVg&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Hamilton_Honey said:
Those Ferragamos immediately reminded me of this video - right about 0:50 "skirts will disappear completely and shoes will have cantilevered heels" !!

[YOUTUBE]<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/txaR2HvnwVg&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/txaR2HvnwVg&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

"He'll (modern man) will be fitted with a telephone..." That was prophetic! And no ties! (That's coming more and more true.:( ) Actually, the male model's hair and beard looked more late '60s (or ancient Assyrian, take your pick), than A.D. 2000. (Yes, Doran, not C.E., as both you and I loathe...)

Widebrim said:
"He'll (modern man) will be fitted with a telephone..." That was prophetic! And no ties! (That's coming more and more true.:( ) Actually, the male model's hair and beard looked more late '60s (or ancient Assyrian, take your pick), than A.D. 2000. (Yes, Doran, not C.E., as both you and I loathe...)

What i want to know is - where's the "candy for cuties" these days? :)

cecil

A-List Customer
Widebrim said:

There's also a pair of heels in the video that look just like a pair Marc Jacobs brought out in 2007.

06m.jpg

The zip-off skirt made a brief appearance recently, too!

Joonie

Familiar Face
Odd, yet...

[YOUTUBE]<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/txaR2HvnwVg&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/txaR2HvnwVg&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE][/QUOTE]

The comma for the year "2,000 A.D." kills me! That and the narrators "Oooh..... 'swish!"" (It's the little things!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A very elegant lady I once knew showed up for an event in an extremely uncomfortable-looking pair of shoes -- they looked spectacular, but I couldn't understand how she could walk in them. "Dear," she said, tossing her head, "I don't *have* to walk in these shoes. They all come to me!"

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
cecil said:
There's also a pair of heels in the video that look just like a pair Marc Jacobs brought out in 2007.

06m.jpg
These would be really fun to substitute for normal shoes at a party, really drunk ladies would have trouble figuring out how to put them on.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Joonie said:
More like an iPhone! My husband cannot function without it!:)

My FDH wanted to switch cellphone companies and throw out the iPod touch he already has for an iPhone. Is it really that worth it? [huh] lol

Back on topic, Joan Crawford was never so lovely as her Two Faced Woman number in Torch Song (1953):

joan_legs.jpg

frightening.jpg

In That's Entertainment III, Debbie Reynolds tells how the original version of Two Faced Woman was performed by Cyd Charisse in The Band Wagon, a musical of the same year, but was cut for time. Comparing the two would make you cry (if seeing Joan in blackface didn't already!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes