Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Goldfinger Suit

Well got my recut Magnoli Goldfinger suit. This time they did a great job. High armholes without being constrictive. I like my 60s style cuts suits sharp, narrow, trim and trig, and that's exactly what I got.

Okay, before the snow melts and I go out like this, honest opinions please: Is this look way over the top?

sjgf2.jpg

Regards,

Senator Jack

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I think the suit looks great, but perhaps there are too many accessories going on at once. Part of the appeal of the Goldfinger suit was its simplicity. Connery didn't even wear a hat most of the time.

Perhaps ditch the gloves and shades and keep the hat and perhaps the umbrella. That would streamline the look down a bit.

Yeah, the hat's tough. That's actually a vintage bowler I got on there. The problem is, I rarely go out without a hat on, ( I feel naked without one now) and the fedoras definitely don't go with this suit. I rarely go out without sunglasses either. Perhaps I need round ones?

I was thinking more of a John Steed look than JB. Yes? No? I need to have my head checked?

Thanks for the constructive criticism, Vladimir.

Kind regards,

Senaotr Jack

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
The Connery Bond look wass all about the clean uncluttered lines, especially with the solid suit. Very utility. Remove the glasses the gloves and the umbrella... leave the umbrella and glasses unless they are grey as well and put on a narrow brimmed trilby and you have Bond.. I'd have the legs a little more tapered.

With a grey bowler, umbrella, gloves you'd be Steed.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I actually think the Steed look would probably work. The thing I think that is throwing me off are the shades. They are giving the outfit a sort of a Blues Brothers vibe which is conflicting with the Bond/Steed British thing.

B0009UC810.01._PE32_.The-Blues-Brothers-25th-Anniversary-Edition._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Bourbon-Str8-Up

New in Town
Smooth Suit

Senator Jack said:
Well got my recut Magnoli Goldfinger suit. This time they did a great job. High armholes without being constrictive. I like my 60s style cuts suits sharp, narrow, trim and trig, and that's exactly what I got.

Okay, before the snow melts and I go out like this, honest opinions please: Is this look way over the top?

sjgf2.jpg

Regards,

Senator Jack
Great looking suit. The bowler and umbrella add to the very classic look. Good eye my friend.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Senator Jack,

I think the suit looks great, and I don't see why a grey fedora wouldn't work with it. Some might feel that it mixes decades too much, but I disagree.

Brad

EL COLORADO

One of the Regulars
Senator Jack said:
sjgf2.jpg

Senator Jack

Heh, heh.
Excellent!
Excellent!

Personally I might go with a narrow brim fedora, ...for a sharper,..sleeker, NY look. But the bowl is good too,...for that different, gentlemenly vibe.
I would definately keep the hat black,...for balance. A grey or other color hat would make the whole thing.... too "light"(?)
But that would work too,..for a fun night out.

Are those gloves vintage?

Are the shoes vintage?? Did you waterproof them?
Are the heels dense enough so they click when you walk down the sidewalk?

What about the shades?
They dont look vintage ,..with the forked arms. Are they?
Do you have a pair of true early 60's wraparounds,...prefably French or Italian.

And what is the suit made from? It has a sheen.

If anything I might tidy up the pocket hank.
HHhhmm,...or maybe not. No ,. its good. Having something a little messy like that sends the signal that youre a razor sharp man,...
but youre willing to mix it up with some riff raff punk in a back alley if the mood hits you.

Heh. heh.
Good. Very good.
Excellent.
Dont change a thing. Except vintage shades.
60's suits and wraparound shades are inseparable.

You look like one of the guys from my set.
Perfect.

EC

Thanks for all the cheers and jeers. I'll be the first one to admit that I'm way over the top sometimes. Miles above Everest. Certainly, film is larger than life, and sometimes emulating that leads to buffoonery.

So addressing some odds and sods:

Posted by Brad Bowers:

I think the suit looks great, and I don't see why a grey fedora wouldn't work with it. Some might feel that it mixes decades too much, but I disagree.

That may be true, Brad. I suppose I just don't have the right shade of grey to go with it. Maybe I need one as light as the suit. (Very light greys seem to be hard to find)

Posted by Zach R:

Well, that sealed it, I have no excuses NOT to order the Goldfinger suit now.

Like everyone else I had always wondered why no one duplicated this suit. And it had nothing to do with daydream adventures of being James Bond; I just always thought it was just a great suit. (But I will say, not as great as the Dr. No suit which is my personal favorite.) So when I saw it, I had to take the gamble. The quality is there, certainly, and compared to off the peg new suits for the same price, you're getting so much more. Indy Magnoli really did a great job.

Posted by Matt Deckard:

I'd have the legs a little more tapered.

Yes, you're right about that. I love tapered legs on 60s cut suits. I originally ordered the suit with unhemmed pants so I can have them tapered and cuffed by my tailor, but if you recall from my post last month, the manufacturer didn't give me enough material. I figured this time I'd just let them hem them where they should be. Maybe I'll take them over to my tailor next week. He only charges twelve bucks.

Thanks again to everyone who is putting this suit into perspective for me.

Here's another shot in which I was trying to look Mack the Knife but perhaps came out as Jack the Idiot. :p

sjgf1.jpg

Kind regards,

Senator Jack

Okay, I got some other things to address while I was writing up my last reply.

BTW, what was the problem with the suit BEFORE it was recut? Just low-slung armholes?

Yes, low slung armholes. How did you guess? Indy had this rectified and it came out right on. Some may think they're too constricting, but as I wrote, I like my 60s suits to be razor sharp.

Asked by El Colorado:

Are those gloves vintage?

No. New tightfitting gloves. I keep meaning to replace my last pair of Italian driving gloves that wore out, but I haven't got around to it yet. Soon!

Are the shoes vintage?? Did you waterproof them?
Are the heels dense enough so they click when you walk down the sidewalk?

I had to laugh about this EC, because that's always one of my considerations when I buy shoes. I thought I was the only one! I got these boots at Florsheim last year. Supposedly they're taken from the original Beatle boot design. Nice boots, but they scuff too easily.

What about the shades?
They dont look vintage ,..with the forked arms. Are they?
Do you have a pair of true early 60's wraparounds,...prefably French or Italian.

The shades are vintage French. You can't see it in the pic, but they have grey streaks running through them. Got them at Fabulous Fannies on 9th where I think I'm going to go on Wednesday to find a round pair for this suit. (I'm thinking sort of a Madness look)

Regards,

Senator Jack

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I think the suit looks great on you! I like the hat,gloves,umbrella too. I feel as if the sunglasses need tweeking a bit. Like El C. said a pair of Italian wraparounds would be good...maybe a little "Danger Diabolik" or "Sicilian Clan" with Alain Delon. Congrats on the sharp threads.

Matt Jones

Familiar Face
Looks totally classy with the black bowler, IMO.

I'd probably try a charcoal fedora (dark enough to contrast) and change the shades to smaller lensed wireframes w/ a light tint.

jay_b

Familiar Face
I think that's a great looking suit Senator Jack!

I think the only reason it may look a little over the top is because you are inside with all the outside accessories. And even if it is a little over the top...who cares. You like it right? If anything it keeps people on their toes.

Not to mention when I see all these punks near my age that are walking around with their pants hanging around their ankles and clothes that fit like a parachute, I wouldn't ever worry about ever looking over the top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran