Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Goldfinger Suit

EL COLORADO

One of the Regulars
Senator Jack said:
I got these boots at Florsheim last year. Supposedly they're taken from the original Beatle boot design. Nice boots, but they scuff too easily.
Of course,..modern shoe leather.

Senator Jack said:
The shades are vintage French. You can't see it in the pic, but they have grey streaks running through them. Got them at Fabulous Fannies on 9th where I think I'm going to go on Wednesday to find a round pair for this suit. (I'm thinking sort of a Madness look)
Yeah i know those guys. I used to get stuff from em all the time when they used to just have a booth at the midtown flea market.
Also that double storefront right across the street from them on 9th has lots of killer cufflinks and some cool shades.
Theres also a place on Lafayette just below Bleeker that has vintage shades and fedoras too.

Senator Jack said:
sjgf1.jpg

Here's another shot in which I was trying to look Mack the Knife but perhaps came out as Jack the Idiot. :p

No man,..no self effacement!
Strut your stuff.
Live it. Love it.
Be it!

EC

vespasian

One of the Regulars
I only think hats get looks when they look unneccesary. For instance why have an umberella when you have a hat? Why wear gloves but no coat? If it was raining or snowing and you had a coat on and a hat then it would look warm and practical. Otherwise it does look a bit of a fop. Having said that, I wouldnt go for the look but if its your thing and you have the wit and presence to carry it off then go do it.

WEEGEE

Practically Family
NICE SUIT AN ALL SENATOR

LIKE THE LOOK...were Magnoli easy to deal with on the arm holes?

I think that the whole ensemble looks great...and more kicking during

the thanksgiving thru new years period.

How old is the bowler?

:cheers1: Weegee

Harry Lime

Suspended
Really a nice looking suit.

Is it over the top? I dunno. In the photos you're pulling it off. Wearing it on the street in NYC and being comfortable in it is another thing - you're going to get some looks, that's for sure. Bowlers work for you which is great (probably better without the sunglasses though.)

Some observations IMHO:

1) I think those pants would look better tapered and uncuffed. More early 60's. And it would add length to your legs.

2) A 60's hat of the type worn by Sinatra (or even Harry Belafonte in "Odds Against Tomorrow") would look fantastic. Or hatless with the shades.

3) The Beatle boots with uncuffed pants would look terrific.

4) A great 50's-60's watch would really complete the look.

5) Esquire rule - (not that you have to subscribe but they do have some good points) umbrellas only with rain or the threat of rain.

6) It's for Spring - a nice clean-lined dark raincoat would be great with this look.

I have a very similar suit, same color - it doesn't look as good on me because I'm not quite as trim as you. I gotta lose a few lbs now to steal your look for Spring (can't grab your bowler look either - doesn't work on me.)

Nice retro look but (dare I say) also a tad avant garde? I approve.

Have at 'em Senator, you've put together something pretty cool.

Harry Lime

Posted by Zach R.

I'm in need of some tightfitting leather gloves, all of the ones I have found have some sort of bulky lining in them.

Those are just regular gloves with the thinsulate. Found them at Daffy's. Rarely do I find small gloves (I like them snug) but I came across a closeout.

I'm really picky about driving gloves, because the leather tends to stretch at the snap. Trying to find another well-made pair, but it seems no one can make them like they did in the 60s.

Posted by Harry Lime:
The Beatle boots with uncuffed pants would look terrific.

I always wear the Beatle boots with my uncuffed pants. Wingtips with uncuffed never look right to me for some reason. I never realized the illusion of longer legs with uncuffed pants, that's something to think about as I always get my pants cuffed. The tapering is right on, and I'm going to bring them over to my tailor to have it done.

Posted by Weegee:

were Magnoli easy to deal with on the arm holes

How old is the bowler?

Indy was very accommodating, and understood my concerns. I had some trouble and added expense with shipping it back to the manufacturer, so be sure to iron out every detail before finalizing the order. I'm very comfortable ordering from him now, because he has my measurements on file. I'm thinking the Washington suit next.

The bowler is from the Mallory Hat Company, Danbury CT, (1823 - 1987) and it is just north of Danbury that I bought the hat at a vintage shop. The hat is in MINT condition and now I'm wondering if it was a factory model. It even came with the original hat brush!

Regards,

Senator Jack

Fu Manchu

One of the Regulars
My humble two cents

Senator-

I love the look and it will look great in that great grey metropolis of New York. I think the bowler (or a stingy-brim fedora) and shades are great looking accessories for that look, but think that the gloves and umbrella are a bit much. In my humble opinion, if you're going "razor sharp", there shouldn't be too many accessories to slow down yr. crisp, city-walking stride.

Man, you're gonna knock 'em dead.

Fu Manchu

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Jack,

You look great! I'm glad everything has been worked out.

I know what you mean about getting the accessories right. The other day I felt a bit late 50s/early 60s so I put on my JB Somerset suit with a narrow black tie and neatly folded hanky... but needed a hat. The only thing that came close was a wide-brimmed fedora. It felt anachronistic to me, but noone else would have batted an eye. In the end it all looked fine, but a narrow brimmed fedora would go much better in my opinion.

I look forward to getting you into a Washington suit. ;)

Kind regards,
Indy

geo

Mantis,
Nice suit. The shoes look screen-accurate too. Are they the "Presley" model from Church's?

Edward

Bartender
Have to admit, I could be tempted by the Magnoli Goldfinger suit, though I much prefer the earlier 30s lines as a rule.

dostacos

Practically Family
well I liked the look with the hat gloves and umbrella and it did remind me of Steed,:eusa_clap

maybe it is just that bowlers need umbrellas

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner