Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great Aussie Burn - how can I avoid the heat?

Drew B

One of the Regulars
So being an Aussie, I - along with my fellows - now have the oppertunity to sweat.... lots. Now due to lack of funds I can't quiet afford a nice light summer suit so what can you wonderful folk recommend as far keeping cool is concerned. I can't quiet wear a jacket anymore but I don't want to loose my style. Open collar shirt and a newsboy cap is as far as I've thought; what else could I do that wouldn't be a mockery of golden era style?

Cheers,
Drew.

PS there is a similar thread for the women folk here.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here is a good place to begin for ideas Drew........I strongly suggest a hat. Preferably Panama Hat.

AA_1934-1.jpg

But be careful you may wind up like this fellow

RTEmagicC_new-york-magazine-shorts.jpg.jpg

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Light khaki can be quite attractive as long as you avoid the Steve Irwin affect. A boater or a Panama can be quite attractive. Hawaiian shirts are one of those "when they're good, they're very very good, and when they're bad they're horrid" things - try to pair it with the hat and land on the good side.

Spectators are summery and help push khakis from anonymous to intentionally vintage-style.

Alas, I am also one of those lowbrow women who likes men in A-back undershirts with suspenders. (Braces? Excuse my Americanese. Not ladies underwear, the ones that hold your pants up! I do not care for men in ladies' underwear!) Depends what you look like in an undershirt though so mileage very much varies. And not all girls care for this look at all.

I like suspenders over button-down shirts with the sleeves rolled up, too, very '30s P.I.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Haha. Summer's here!

Uuuh...I would suggest a button-down, short-sleeve khaki top and white (or beige) trousers, with light socks and shoes. Or shorts, with sandals. Belt optional. That's kinda my summer enssemble. It's not a true 'khaki' colour, I don't think, so it doesn't come out as the whole "Crocodile Hunter" effect.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"There are days in the "Swan River Colony when Only Shorts will do!"

5+go+mad.jpg

"A linen suit, with a straw Pith, is a good choice on a Spring/Autumn Day"

3877937142_1098b41bfb.jpg

"when its rather hot a cotton "Earl Grey Tea Shirt" with a cotton Argyle sleeveless pullover?"

3914272624_fb96d78cc5.jpg

(that's not a spray on Tan!!!, I just "Read" orange on camera!)

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Cotton or linen trousers, belt (braces are underwear and should be covered by a jacket which would be too warm), cotton shirt with pocket (to keep your wallet in as you'll have no jacket pocket), tie, suitable hat (light weight fedora, panama or boater). If you watch the end of Public Enemies you see all the people exiting the cinema. Most of them are in just a shirt, trousers, tie and hat but look appropriately dressed for a cinema visit in the 1930s.

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
I've generally gone a linen cap and light pants. Every now and then David Jones carries a few Milana Linen caps at pretty good price. I also think the shorts in an appropriate vintage cut are pretty good for a weekend with a good short sleeve shirt.

For Melbourne based eye candy check out the linen suits in Henry Bucks. Excellent!

A hat is the thing. My personal favorite is the Akubra Jive Master - a narrow brim porkpie. Worth the investment. The also have one in grey that makes a good change.

Or - take the advice from above - move to NZ - they don't call it the land of the long white cloud for nothing! No problems with the sun there ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw