Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The great blockers

gcollins

One of the Regulars
Gents:

We have some great contributors here, like Art and PanamaBob, who of course are wonderful craftsmen and fine gentlemen. Maybe the guy known as Fedora is in this mix too. We have a nice mutual admiration society here, and no one of course has anything bad to say about our friendly neighbors who do great work for all of us here. No question.

But, let's open this up a bit to the rest of the world--I'm getting claustrophobic. Where are the world's great hat blockers and makers, and where are they? We have a somewhat closed community here of us hat nerds--the Optimo, PB and Fed D aficionados, et al.

But surely there are the greats who don't go on forums because they're too busy doing hats; the artists with serious lead times. Guys like Trent Johnson--if you've never worked with him on on a hat, you are missing serious artistry. There have to be a dozen like him. in the USA. How about Italy and France, two great hat making meccas, or our own Western hat makers in the USA. I will go to Italy to have some hats made, where are the great custom hatter in tuscany an sicily?

So who are they and what are they good at?

Regards,
G

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
"G'
In Italy the best hatter in my opinion is Cervo. They are in Allessandria near the old Borsalino plant I believe. It is still family owned and IMHO produce the finest felts in that country.

In this country you seem to already know the best. Milt Johnson, BB, Trent J, Graham Thompson, Michael Harris ( Pauls Hat Works, SF) for Panama's.

In Europe I'm not sure how the industry has shaken out. Locke & Co., Christy's used to be the best IMHO, but I don't know if they are making their own hats anymore so can't say.

In France Gelot was the best but I don't know if they still exist. Sounds like a good research project.?

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Originally posted by gcollins
Gents:

We have a nice mutual admiration society here.... We have a somewhat closed community here of us hat nerds-

Regards,
G

I don't think of myself as a "nerd", and don't have a plastic pocket protector and tape on my glasses. IMHO this board is not really a "closed community", new people, such as yourself, are joining every day. I welcome as many good folks as possible, for this board encourages intelligent exchage of information, sources, product reviews, politics, current events, ..the list goes on.

Most of the "regular" hatters you listed are well known, make "Indy" hats for those who seek them, and produce modern hats with the vintage look.

They are conveniently located in the USA and most have Web Sties.

I have travelled to all the hat shops in my area (Vintage Sillhouettes - Arts, Top Hatters, Pauls Hat Works, The Hat Guys, Fino Fino), and I went to Chicago just to visit Optimo.

Unfortunately I can't "drop in" any shops in Italy or Europe...

It sounds like you have some good info to share on some other hatters. I'd love to learn more:)

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Most people here understand that I haven't blocked a hat in my life. Fixed with an iron, steam, and some water...yes...nothing more.

I've seen hats from most of the above and they were very good. I've got pictures, that I've personally taken, of at least one of the aforementioned, you know, the serious artist type who couldn't possibly be seen putting his name on a site like this, where the ribbon is sewn right through the paja on one Montecristi in dozens of places...unacceptable.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I went to two hat shops in France and was not impressed by any means. One of them was Gelot. No leather sweatbands in sight and the hats were shapeless.

When it comes to felt, I think the best blockers and hatters are in the US and Australia.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Originally posted by Renderking Fisk
Everyone's telling me that I sent my Akubra to one of the best hat blockers in the country.

Well, he has some really fine vintage blocks, and he is not working on VOLUME, he is working on QUALITY.

I have spent many hours watching Art work on my hats and many customers. I have even been allowed to help. Believe me, Art is developing his own artistic style, and is (shhhhhh I'm not supposed to repeat this..) uncovering some secrets of the masters.

You see, Art somehow, has some built in radar where he finds rare hats, new old stock, vintage tools, and hatting equipment, ..and picks the brains of those who have years of experience.

Then he can whip it all together to make it truly a "Work of ART".

gcollins

One of the Regulars
there I go again...whipping off e-mails that borderline offend people--sorry about that, I'm the nerd, learning a great deal about hats from you folks. Being in China and Asia, absolutely no good appreciation of the killer brim. I find that amazing! One of these days, all the bare-headed folkswill need to figure it out that hats are extremely practical as well as art in every way.

Yes, that's interesting. From what I've seen here over the last month, surely the great hat guys can do no better than the stuff I've seen come from Art's hands.

It's funny, you would think that Europe would still have more really good hatters. Does Cervo custom make hats? I thought they were more of a limited production type of maker--a lower volume Borsalino. I could be wrong here.

:cool2:

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by gcollins
there I go again...whipping off e-mails that borderline offend people--sorry about that, I'm the nerd...

Don't worry about it. I don't think anyone was truly offended. I took it as a compliment! :D I think appending a hobby or interest with the word "nerd" is terminology of the moment...hat nerd, pen nerd, movie nerd...it probably came from computer nerd which may have been a tad insulting. Sometimes the word "weenie" replaces "nerd".

I wouldn't be surprised if a new member eventually registers as "hat nerd".

The way I see it anyway,

David

Originally posted by SHARPETOYS
Work of ART".

I call him "Works of Art" I can see his hat liners with a Rockwell type picture with Art painting a Fedora on a canvas. Norman Rockwell style.:D :D :) :)

I see more of the magician side. The liner could have a wand with a hand attached in a gold circle with "Works" on the top half and "of Art" on the bottom half. All liners would have to be a royal purple or argent. ;)
His advertising flyers could use the nice picture you describe. Does he have a beret on while he is painting? LOL

Regards to all,

J

Originally posted by SHARPETOYS
Does he have a beret on while he is painting?

No he has a Vintage Fedora on his head. Its not magic. Its years of practice and hours and hours of hard work.

:D :) :D

I didn't say it was magic. He just makes it look like magic. :D You old hat goes in and comes out looking like a new one---magic! :eek:
I am glad he has a Fedora on in the picture you envisioned. Now is it straw or felt? LOL

Regards to all,

J

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
LOL :p LOL

Alright guys, settle down in there!!! Geeze, whats gonna happen the next time I screw up a hat??? ***cks of Art )) ( we ALL do occasionally)

I really appreciate the attitudes guys, thanks for the vote of confidence and the continued business. I actually like your ideas and will go to work on them soon. THe deep purple liner sounds good James, and the "artist on canvas" could get interesting Sharp..except the half breed hat ...all in due time.

Originally posted by Art Fawcett
LOL :p LOL

Alright guys, settle down in there!!! Geeze, whats gonna happen the next time I screw up a hat??? ***cks of Art )) ( we ALL do occasionally)

I really appreciate the attitudes guys, thanks for the vote of confidence and the continued business. I actually like your ideas and will go to work on them soon. THe deep purple liner sounds good James, and the "artist on canvas" could get interesting Sharp..except the half breed hat ...all in due time.

I doubt you could ever screw up a hat as bad as a half breed hat. LOL Man, those things are ugly!
I am always amazed at the internet resources at the finger tips of Sharpetoys. He could probably find a half mink half wolf hat. You let it loose it chases itself around the room. LOL

Regards to all,

J

Originally posted by Art Fawcett
"G'
In Europe I'm not sure how the industry has shaken out. Locke & Co., Christy's used to be the best IMHO, but I don't know if they are making their own hats anymore so can't say.

I did some checking on Christy's and found that they closed their Stockport factory in 2000. Before that they were the consolidation of all the British manufacturing companies into one-- Christy Inc. They continue on but they do not manufacture in England anymore.
John Milano of Milano Hat company says that they are now more into doing the cloth Rex Harrison hats. The English (Christy's) now buy their hats from Portugal, Czech Republic or Hungary and other Eastern Countries.
So I think we can write them off in the same manner as Borsalino. You can check out some of their new stuff that is out there and it is nothing to jump up and down about. Sorry to throw cold water on that but they are not the same company of even four years ago. :cry:

Regards to all,

J

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Slightly off topic, but:

A relative of mine owns a hat store in Chicago.

It is your basic retail hat store, but it has a decent selection, I thought, and it definitely has grown in name in Chicago.

It is called "Hats Plus" and here is the website they finally put up: http://www.hats-plus.com

Just letting you know. Might wanna stop by next time you're in Chicago.

Gotta spread the word, you know.

Jack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy