Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great WWII Aviation Movie Thread

Siggmund

One of the Regulars
I sort of went mad on Piece of Cake for awhile. I discovered the series then immediately bought and read the novel, then watched the series again. It was one of those rare films that does justice, and more, to the book. The insanity of war: the constant fear, violent death, morbid humor and gratuitous cruelty so affected me that I was changed by the experience. I hate Moggy as if he were a real person even though I realize what a perfect character he is, in the literary sense, as a canvas for all the things that are loathsome about war itself.
Twelve O'Clock High is the greatest air combat film, IMO. I devoured the TV series of the same name as a kid. Robert Stack as crusty General Savage conveyed the darkness of combat so effectively that they killed him off to lighten-up the show.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Twelve O'Clock High is the greatest air combat film, IMO. I devoured the TV series of the same name as a kid. Robert Stack as crusty General Savage conveyed the darkness of combat so effectively that they killed him off to lighten-up the show.

Gregory Peck (and Robert Lansing in the televised version of Twelve O'clock High) portrayed Savage, an exceptional officer of first rank soldiery.

Last edited:

Haversack

One Too Many
Where Eagles Dare just for that winter-camoflaged Ju-52 flying through the Alps.

And I have to second MisterCairo's recommendation of Captains of the Clouds. Here you have a color movie made in 1942 about a group of Canadian bush pilots who join the RCAF. It stars James Cagney and features Air Marshall Bishop playing himself. As far as all the aircraft in the movie go, take a gander here.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
John Wayne's Flying Tigers (1942) wins for me.
I like the electric motor powered P-40s used in some of the scenes. Otherwise, there is little in the way of facts, other then the AVG was in China! They did not fly operational missions until after December 7, 1941. Plus there were no suicide bombing missions. Why could't they have shown the battle of Salween Gorge, where The Flying Tigers literally single handedly, stopped the invasion of India! If they had done nothing else during WWII, they would have still deserved acclaim.

Cocker

Practically Family
Saw Twelve O'Clock High about three or four months ago for the first time, and I really enjoyed it. It does convey a lot in term of atmosphere, and feels quite authentic.

Appart from that, I have to second Battle of Britain and Dark Blue World. Memphis Belle is really good too.

Catch 22, this one deserves to be watched by all aviation enthusiasts for the group take off scene alone.

I still have to see "The War Lover".

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Funny coincidence, when we parked to get lunch today, I could hear the sound of two Wright R-2600s! Sure enough, there it was over head, a B-25, man oh man, love it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner