Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"The greatest thing since sliced bread" = since July 7, 1928.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
It was 80 years ago today that the Chillicothe (Mo.) Bakery Co. put the first commercial bread slicer into operation. The invention was the work of Otto Rohwedder, an Iowa-born jeweler and entrepreneur.
Rohwedder02_b.jpg

smithsonian1_b.jpg

Us_patent_1867377_sheet_2.jpg

sixsexsix

Practically Family
I actually prefer non-sliced bread! I like having the control of deciding just how thick my slice is going to be.
I can see where is can be convenient though ;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
When I was in the second grade, we went on a field trip to the Nissen bakery in Portland, and saw an entire row of Rohwedder machines in action -- wicked impressive! We then got a freshly-sliced freshly wrapped loaf of bread to take home as a souvenir of the trip, and I ate all of mine, right down to the heeltack, on the bus on the way home.

Balloon bread. Mmmmmmmm.

pgoat

One Too Many
sixsexsix said:
I actually prefer non-sliced bread! I like having the control of deciding just how thick my slice is going to be.
Just what I was thinking - we always have to stop people from throwing the loaf in the slicer at bakeries....

but I could see how they'd be a big hit on the school trip!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
We then got a freshly-sliced freshly wrapped loaf of bread to take home as a souvenir of the trip, and I ate all of mine, right down to the heeltack, on the bus on the way home.
Oh bad, bad, BAD Lizzie. :rolleyes: Did you spoil your supper and have to sit at the table till you felt like eating again?

I dunnohwedder da Rohwedder originally had the variable-thickness slicing feature like the ones today. Somebody wanna go look up U.S. Patent #1,867,377 and find out?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy