Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"The Gunner" from Kakaduimport?

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Any of you gents have any experience with this greatlooking coat:
"The Gunner" from Kakaduimport.

Or with the company itself?

5O23-4.jpg

To me it looks like an amazing coat.:eusa_clap

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
That's an Aussie company Spitty. I've seen a couple of their things before and from what I remember they make nice stuff.

That's canvas is it? It's reminiscent of some of the patterns of flying coat that were used in WWI. Although they were usually leather, I have seen a photo of an Australian Flying Corp member in Palestine wearing what appears to be a canvas coat (then again it could just be a heavily used leather coat).

You just need a pair of Lewis guns and somebody in the front seat of a Brisfit to cart you around :D

tonypaj

Practically Family
Spitfire said:
Any of you gents have any experience with this greatlooking coat:
"The Gunner" from Kakaduimport.

Or with the company itself?

5O23-4.jpg

To me it looks like an amazing coat.:eusa_clap

I've got one, in the closet and there it will stay (until my son gets old enough to want a real beater). It is thin, cheaply made, poor finish (I could go on and on), in fact there's nothing I'd recommend about this coat. Well, the picture is good...

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
tonypaj said:
I've got one, in the closet and there it will stay (until my son gets old enough to want a real beater). It is thin, cheaply made, poor finish (I could go on and on), in fact there's nothing I'd recommend about this coat. Well, the picture is good...

That's a shame Tony, I saw some of their stuff in the late '90s when I lived in Sydney and the clothing I saw was really nice.

Sounds like they've gone down the gurgler quality-wise since then.

Feraud

Bartender
ethanedwards said:
What a pity Spitfire - it looks great though doesn't it. I know it's different in style, but I used to have one of these M-1951 coats. It was extremely heavy, beautifully made and very strong. Must be hard to come by now though?

http://www.militarysupplyhouse.com/overcoatus1.htm

I currently have the M-51 Field Coat. It is a great heavy coat and not too hard to come by I think..

I also have the raincoat I have been meaning to pass along to a Lounger to make room in my closet.

MJCR

One of the Regulars
I bought one of their canvas bags last year and it's pretty awful quality. I kept it on the off chance it might come in handy one day, but I can see it going to the charity shop soon as it's just taking up space.

Rufus

Practically Family
Hiya Spitfire,

You can find original WW2 UK 'Dispatch/Despatch' riding jackets regularily on ebay.co.uk... They go for about 20-50 quid, and are great for bikes (obviously!), and wet and windy towns!

:) Rufus

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
WHOA, Whoa, whoa, now...

I have had this coat for about six months and, though I am no connoisseur of men's outerwear, I like it just fine (for the $56+ shipping I pd.). My basis for comps ain't much but I have a G & B expedition, a Peterman tweed hacking jacket & just got a Magnoli "The Natural" in leather, so I am not a total tyro either.
The Kakadus' canvas feels sturdy & mid weight, the workmanship seems sound. The brass hardwear seems solid. We are in the midst of a hella drought so I have only had occasion to wear this in the rain twice, but it kept it off :D ... what can I say, maybe I am a philistine, but I like it. The design is dashing, it is not as idiotically pretentious (at least in Knoxville) as a duster, it is not impregnated with rubber, tar, oil or wax as was the original (rubber I think) , it's a real eye catcher paired with a fedora and it is machine washable to boot. Yes, I wish the belt were longer so you might tie it, I wish it draped better & hope it will w/ age, overall I am happy.

Kakadu also has a short safari jacket I have been thinking of as an alternative to leather;

kakaduburke.jpg

I wouldn't hesitate to get "The Gunner" (despite the idiotic name) again, at a reasonable price.

Copper

One of the Regulars
I just picked up some stuff from Kakadu - the Nelson Jacket, the oilskin cargo trousers, and a shoulder bag.

I think that it is of pretty good quality for the money. I have a Belstaff Trialmaster and although I give the quality nod to it over the Nelson 'replica', the oilskin seems to be solid, the leather collar lining is a nice touch, and the fasteners of decent quality. The differences lay mostly -at first look at least as i have not yet ridden with both- in the small details and in the quality of the lining. At 1/4 the price though, I have to say that it is impressive, and will look good with a couple union jacks sewn on.

I have thought about getting the 'gunner' jacket as a 'beater' jacket in place of my original canvas dispatch rider's coat. These are almost impossible to find to fit a 50L, and I would have trouble replacing the one I did find.

I plan on usuing the oilskin cargo trousers in quite a significant riding adventure later this year, so I will be able to provide a true torture-test report on them.

HDRnR

A-List Customer
I have the Kakadu and an original Despatch. The Kakadu is a basic representation that is not bad for the price. The original Despatch coat is just a different animal all together due to the fabric, its probably the heaviest impregnated canvas I have ever seen. Its heavier than any outfitter tent canvas I've come across, truly an amazing trenchcoat. The Kakadu is more of a soft brushed cotton. Its like comparing a butter knife to a Bowie knife.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I've contacted the people who sell this in the UK and they say it's made of 10 oz canvas. That would seem quite substantial. Would previous posters/owners say that's heavier than or the same as the one(s) they've seen or read about?

I'm hovering between this and a more pungent rubbery 1950s version offered by SOF, the British surplus and repro people. I'm aware they're not at all the same animal. Nevertheless, I'm on a tight budget and it's one or the other...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav