Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hat Gear Thread

buler

I'll Lock Up
I have no idea what this is for exactly, but it had the magic numbers "7 1/8" on it, so I bought it for a couple bucks. Advice on what it's used for or how to, anyone? I'm assuming it has something to do with the brim, as it also says "2 3/4"

007copym.jpg

Its a flange stand and a flange. You select the flange by the numbers marked for the hat and brim size. Put the hat, crown down, thru the hole in the flange and the brim rests on the flange. A cloth or canvas would be layed over the bottom side of the brim and a spring was placed over the cloth and into the groove that is routed into the flange. Steam the cloth and brim. Then you would lower a heated sandbag down to rest on the brim for a period of time to set the brim's flanging.

That is my understanding of this equipment and brim flanging process. If any of the hatters have corrections, please feel free.

B

Bonked

New in Town
Just a suggestion when steaming. Distilled water will not leave minerals in your pots or steamers. I`ve had a steamer start shooting white powder out from minerals. Distilled water can be bought at the grocery store for just a buck or 2 for a gallon.

GregNYC

One Too Many
Here is the stuff I use. I'm just a beginning hat fan. I'm not too good at shaping felt or straw, not to mention blocking, but I think I'll get there. I'm passable at re-sizing up or down a bit.

8c96929f4e1434d308a8896e797bb929.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-30-

A-List Customer
For my money, and I have bought two, two-way action "hat size retainers" aka "two-way hat stretchers", both of them seemingly being only to change a regular sized hat into a Long Oval.

The above pictured four- way, to my mind, is truly a hat stretcher, in that it treats both axis, not just one. The only reason for me to use any of these is to reduce/eliminate any

shrinkage problem and to be able to add a "handle" when brushing/changing the felt; if the hat fits, I will buy/wear it, not forcefully change it to a larger fit, as problems may arise later

with brim distortion and/or sweatband deformation.

Regards,
J T

Bonked

New in Town
I would certainly agree that it's better to buy a hat that fits but when it costs just $14 and just a bit small I'm jumping on it and stretching it regardless of what may happen later. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Dragging up another old thread, mostly because I thought I was real clever (my wife often reminds me I'm not) by making my own hat former. After research, I stumbled upon a revolutionary device called a band block, I should have known that would happen. I had Mike Miller at NW Hats trace the pattern he made of my noggin for his custom work on me, and used it for my own "poor man's band block". I will have to make a few more of these. I cut the pattern out of 1" pink foam insulation, sanded it to size, and ham handedly drilled a hole in it. I'm a legend in my own mind I guess. Posted this as an inspiration to others, my gift to all!

23Nov16 Hat Form 1.jpg
23Nov16 Hat Form 2.jpg

RJR

Dragging up another old thread, mostly because I thought I was real clever (my wife often reminds me I'm not) by making my own hat former. After research, I stumbled upon a revolutionary device called a band block, I should have known that would happen. I had Mike Miller at NW Hats trace the pattern he made of my noggin for his custom work on me, and used it for my own "poor man's band block". I will have to make a few more of these. I cut the pattern out of 1" pink foam insulation, sanded it to size, and ham handedly drilled a hole in it. I'm a legend in my own mind I guess. Posted this as an inspiration to others, my gift to all!

View attachment 61023 View attachment 61024
It should work nicely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart