Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Help

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Today we went and watched "The Help". I finished the book last week..so I was anxious to see the film.

I have to say, it was a remarkable adaptation, holding very true to the book.

This is a story about a young woman "Skeeter" who returns to her home town in Jackson, Mississippi in era 1962.

She undertakes writing a book about how the maids working for the white families in the community are treated.

As the story develops....with some Civil Rights, cultural, "Jim Crow" laws..and very pointed depiction of life in Mississippi for
people of color....we find "The Maids" standing up, and telling their stories, their voices heard...there is a lot of humor, and
a lot of sadness in this film. This movie can be a "tear jerker"...and well worth seeing.

I would say that this is one of the cleanest, freshest, well adapted, EXCEPTIONALLY WELL ACTED, and beautifully filmed
movies I have seen in a LONG time.

It tells a story.....it sends a message. It opens eyes. It brings all of us back to a shameful time in America. A time where
human beings were treated ....like trash.

The characters portrayed in the film, the costumes, the scenery, the location shoots...all First Class.

I personally give this film FOUR STARS ****

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot