Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hollywood Waist-

ShanghaiJack

One of the Regulars
Thanks Gents!

Well... The wild an exotic Far-East is a world of wonder.
I was having difficulty finding accurate cotton-burlap lining.
Acetate/nylon lining is easy to be had, but I'm trying to use all domestic cloth
and I'm told that we now have a good source for acceptable lining.
Not to mention a few hiccups in the actual production style.
But do stay tuned, the items are a GO!
Thanks again for your interest and patience.

Tails Up!
ShanghaiJack

ShanghaiJack

One of the Regulars
HollyWood Waist

The pants are still a "GO". Again, finding accurate material in Country [VietNam] is a bit difficult. I wanted to upgarde the material to as close to vintage as possible. Solid colors will be available first. We are building a website, and will have a public "Brand-Name" for the line. Please stay tuned!
And Thanks for the interest!
Tails Up!
SJ

ShanghaiJack

One of the Regulars
Late?

It's never too late, They'll be made available to all when the production woes and details are finalized.

Tails Up!
SJ

zeus36

A-List Customer
Bumping up this thread as there is parallel post on single-breasted suits custom made for some of the members and those pants would do the trick.

Wild Root said:
I have seen some Hollywood waisted pants from the late 30's before. That style really took off in the 40's! It was a very Hollywood style that came from the early 40's.

Root.

Root et al, here's a photo of the granddaddy of Hollywood waist pants. It comes from an otherwise conservative sack suit custom-made in Mass. in July, 1932. Note the lack of a waistband.

-- Marc

Spoon134.jpg

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wore my fav pair of Hollywood slacks to work yesterday--they have the lowest belt loops I've ever seen, so the look is kind of severe and I LOVE it. Anyway, one of my customers was an older gentleman (maybe 70's), and he looked at my pants and said "I like them pants!" To which I replied, "Oh yeah? Thanks." And he said "I used to have a pair just like that...50 years ago!"
I felt validated!
flat-top

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yes, there were some predecessors to the Hollywood slack as most know it from the post war years. But, a true Hollywood waist (in my opinion) has the smaller dropped belt loops. I have seen a few pairs of pants from the 30's that had the smaller dropped loops just like most of the post war jobs and it's really something to see it! I have seen that look I believe in the original film 42nd street.

On the last photo of Powell's pants I believe I see belt loops. As for me, I don't feel that belt loops look weird with out a belt. And if I wear suspenders, I don't feel that I should take off the belt loops from a 60 year old pair of pants. Just feels wrong to alter something original. It's always nice to have a choice if you want to wear suspenders or a belt.

Root.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
We're of the same mind

Root, I think we share the same instincts. If something has survived the decades, who am I to chop it up?
I don't know if I would call those pants Powell wears in the Thin Man films Holywood Waist, but they are what I'd like to have. Very masculine, very practical, elegant, classic.

Wild Root

Gone Home
What's the matter with the word "Slacks" I'm not sure I understand the hatred. [huh]

I love William's pants! I have seen some suits like that before from the 30's and 40's. Too bad they were small for me. I did have a blue pinstriped suit once that had belt loopless pants! They came up high in the back with the split. Had the buttons on the outside of the waist band. The problem with this suit was it was too big. It seemed to have been a 48 I think. I tried to have it taken in a little but, it still was way to big. So, I sold it. It was dated 1946 and had the looks of an earlier suit. Wish that dumb thing fit right! :cry:

WR.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred