Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hollywood Waist-

repeatclicks

Practically Family
mattfink said:
Maybe they meant the rise was 14"?

Yep, pretty sure thats what they meant. The trousers my wife made from the 50s pattern have about a 13-14" rise.

Noticed youre from Detroit! My old stomping grounds. Do you go to Jay at Chop Shop for your haircuts? Best damn barbers in the area, in my opinion anyway.

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
djgo-cat-go said:
I have a pair in light blueish grey.. They're really well made, and to me, a more bold design than the Magnoli trousers of which I have two pairs.. Don't get me wrong, I really like the Magnoli Hollywood pants, but to be honest, I like the Tarantula's more.. They have a slightly more higher rise and the belt loops are dropped a quarter inch lower.. (I only wish I had them cuffed by a tailor instead of just fold 'n stitch the pipes myself... :eek: ) I'm certain that when I order another Magnoli pants with specified modifications I get it just the way I want it.. Indy is terrific..

I know the guys from Tarantula personally. They make some great stuff! I have a jacket from them, love it to death. Haven't gotten a pair of the trousers from them though, sold quite a few though in the past(worked at retailer that stocked their stuff, MyBabyJo). Vintage in my size is easy, 30-34.

FRANKIE

New in Town
I know these aren't a Hollywood waist, but having read through the thread this seems to be the place to discuss high-waisted pants in general.

http://www.jpeterman.com/Mens-Pants/19th-Century-Tweed-Slacks-1

Anyway, I have a pair of these in gray and a pair in brown on the way, and I'm absolutely in love with them. As with anything J. Peterman, they're probably not worth the full price, but if you can get them in your size on sale they're at least worth considering.

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Hello gentlemen. I am new here and read some of the pasts threads about Shanghai Jack having some hollywood waist pants being made. Any update on this fella and his work?

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Hollywood Waist

I found a pair of NOS 1940's hollywood waist slacks with tags still on; never worn. I think they are the best I have ever seen. I would like to make duplicates. Will post pics soon.

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
1940's Hollywood waist pants

Here are those Hollywood waist that I mentioned before.
40sblue2-1.jpg

And here are the brown ones that I copied.
brownpants2.jpg

I will start making these if anyone is interested.

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
Great trousers! How about a side shot if you've got one around?

How much would you charge?

Johnny J said:
Here are those Hollywood waist that I mentioned before.
40sblue2-1.jpg

And here are the brown ones that I copied.
brownpants2.jpg

I will start making these if anyone is interested.

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
J.J. Gittes said:
Great trousers! How about a side shot if you've got one around?

How much would you charge?

Here is a couple other pics.
brown5.jpg

brown4.jpg

brownpants5.jpg

And about the price, taking into consideration what others charge (150 -200) and how much work is involved I think I would have to charge minimum 125 for labor plus fabric. You need approx. 2 1/2 yds and wool fabric in downtown L.A. at B.Black and Sons starts I think around 8 to 10 a yrd. The wool I used for these was 15 a yrd.

Blackjack

One Too Many
From those pictures I'd say I'd better swear off the sauce if I want to wear such pants. I'd look pretty wedge shaped in them with Sam Adams riding round my midrift these days. Or like the rich uncle in "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House." Decidedly not chick-magnety.
"That Scott - wedgey waist - so hawt."

Not.

But I want pants like that all the same.

I hear ya brother...

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Those are great! You said that was off the eva pattern? The french slacks or the 40's? it looks like from the pattern I saw the leg came straight down , hardly any taper at all to the ankle, yours look better...
Hello Blackjack. I used the eva 1940s wide leg trousers pattern to help me make a hollywood waist pattern. I added more fabric on top so I wouldn't need the waistband and the instruction manual helped me make the rest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner