Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"The House of Hair"

Worf

I'll Lock Up
As one ages... you begin to think you've done, seen or heard just about everything... That's the about the time someone or something comes along remind you that you haven't and never will. I was minding my own business, sittin' at my computer fighting the Luftwaffe over Stalingrad when Puddin' hails me.

"We have to go out."

"Why?"

"Because I have to buy something....."

"What?"

"Some hair..."

"Some WHAT?"

"Some hair!"

"Last time I checked you had some...."

"But I need some more."

"What for?"

"I'm going to the doctor on Monday and I need some more hair."

Now at this juncture, if I were a drinkin' man I'd have said something snarky... and stupid, but instead I grunted and groaned my way downstairs.

"Why do you need me to buy hair?"

"Because the store's in a bad neighborhood."

"You scared somebody's gonna scalp you? Hair bandits in the hood? Black market for stolen locks?"

She rolled her eyes at me and pointed to the door. A good man knows when he's licked so off we went. The place in question was in a part of town that'd seen better days. The establishment, "Kim's World of Hair" used to be an upscale men's clothing store back in the day.... not anymore. I personally had never seen anything quite like it. Hair on Styrofoam heads, hair in plastic bags... hair hangin' from the roof. Hair in all colors of the rainbow, black, brown, blonde, beige and all the shades of neon that can be thought up by the twisted mind of man. Curly hair, straight hair, kinky hair, pieces that belonged better on Crazy Horses lodge pole.... I began to wonder why I don't drink.

I've done my share of travelin', in and out of uniform, every continent but Africa so far. And I've seen my share of markets in my time. I've seen people haggle over food, fish, meat, vegetables.... anything you can put a dollar on. But the sight of women hagglin' over disembodied hair... that was new one on me. After what seemed like hours of fruitless wandering I suggested a short bobbed wig, like Dianne Carol wore in "Julia". I'd said it as a joke. But god as my witness that's the one we left with. She tried it on as we drove home. And by god it looked great on her.

It's a strange world and that's no wonder....

Worf

Possibly the best part of that story - which has several very good parts - is what you where doing before being called to active duty: "I was minding my own business, sittin' at my computer fighting the Luftwaffe over Stalingrad." That is a wonderful way to relax on Sunday.

And, as the others above do, I salute you - that is how one keeps a good relationship good.

And to preempt any misunderstanding and start a three page firefight - women do different type of, but similar-in-spirit, things for men to keep a good relationship good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff