Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The hunt for exuberant oddities

Dowesva

New in Town
Hello!

I’ve only recently begun to collect hats, a Goorin my brother gave me set me on a bit of a financial rampage and (un?)fortunately I’ve spent myself out of my interests. This is why I come to you, my hat collection seems ill-equipped.

I really want a felted silk fedora (I know, I know, it means hat. But at least you know the style I’m referring to). Short crown, short brim, something very dressy and stylish. Believe it or not this idea came from the placemats at my girlfriend’s house, if I knew how to make the hat I’d have stolen them and used the fabric! The tag said “100% silk felt” and I’ve been on the hunt ever since. Anyone know where I might find one?

I've always been a fan of antique shops so I’ll be keeping my eye out for any vintage or otherwise aged items. I know myself better than to start shopping online, as the difference between “That looks great!” and “That looks great on me!” is no fine line. It does seem a bit hard to find an older hat that fits my taste (shorter crown, shorter brim) but I think my next wool fedora needs to have seen more years than I. Does anyone have a suggestions for how to track down older hats in a retail environment, or brands I should look out for if I want something truly unique?

There are a few hats that I plan to pick up in their country of origin including; a Greek fisherman’s cap, a Panama (Ecuador), a tubeteika, a tagelmust, an ushanka, and an Aussie rancher hat. Not only do I love the history behind them but I like the look, we’ll have to see how it looks on me though. Let me know if there are any other cultural hats worth looking into.

Then there are a few quick items that I just need to find one I like, including a; cadet, cowboy hat, and gambler. The hats I already have include; three fedoras (one straw, two wool), a bowler, a boater, and a top hat. Of coarse I'll always be on the hunt for nicer versions of the ones I have, but have I missed any odd or unique hats that one would actually wear? As you can see I like hats of every shape and size, so if there’s some rare styling yet unheard of please let me know.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass