Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "If you like... then you might like..." thread

davidraphael

Practically Family
There's nothing I enjoy more than finding an excellent author whose back catalogue/complete works I can consume.

But when you're done and are looking for new writers who have similar styles, themes, feels or moods, it can be difficult.

For example, I read a lot of Paul Auster and wanted to continue reading works that have a post-modern kind of neo-noir-ish feel to them. It took me a long time to find what I was looking for in Haruki Murakami
This in turn led me to Kazuo Ishiguro, who I am currently reading.

so,
If you like Paul Auster...
you might like...Haruki Murakami, Kazuo Ishiguro, Bret Easton Ellis,

Here's another:

If you like Charles Bukowski...
You might like... John Fante, Louis-Ferdinand Celine, Dan Fante, Hemingway

Does anyone else have any 'clusters' of writers like this?

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I love the works of Emil Zola (and the belle epoque time period 1880s-1914 in general) so it was easy for me to like other naturalist/realist writers like Guy de Monpasant and even early modernists like Joseph Conrad. Nice depressing sordid stuff that give windows into the time period and various occupations.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
There's nothing I enjoy more than finding an excellent author whose back catalogue/complete works I can consume.

But when you're done and are looking for new writers who have similar styles, themes, feels or moods...

If you like Charles Bukowski...
You might like... Louis-Ferdinand Celine... Hemingway

Does anyone else have any 'clusters' of writers like this?

Matthew,Mark,Luke,and John.
...and John was a dry-fly fisherman. ;)
Celine and Hemingway are an interesting match; mais pourquoi?
C and Joyce share some of the same shadow for me, like Brecht and Beckett.

I love the works of Emil Zola (and the belle epoque time period 1880s-1914 in general) so it was easy for me to like other naturalist/realist writers like Guy de Monpasant and even early modernists like Joseph Conrad. Nice depressing sordid stuff that give windows into the time period and various occupations.

Conrad is more sordid and depressing than the Chicago Tribune sports page.
Heart of Darkness I have never finished.

J.R.R. Tolkien and his The Lord of the Rings

Tolk was all the rage in college, but I could not approach him for some reason
or other. Tolk seemed Lewis Carroll, JM Barrie, and L Frank Baum all
wrapped up together and warmed over like a burrito. But I found him later,
when I could appreciate his work. CS Lewis was similarly situated with me in college. Returned to him later on, and am ever grateful for discovering a fine author.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran