Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the leopard can never change its spots

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
I've become mildly obsessed with leopard print as of late, and I can't seem to get enough of it. I know it was very popular in the 50s and 60s, but what about before then? How far back does this craving for animal print spots go? Please share leo pics and fill me in on the history!

Jackie Collins
1956ModelJackieCollinsbyCarRobes.jpg

Anita Ekberg
anitaekbergstockholm.jpg

Jackie Kennedy
jackiekennedyleopardcoat.jpg

Brigitte Bardot
leo.jpg

Catherine Deneuve
1965leo.jpg

Liz Taylor
lizleopard.jpg

Nadia Cassini
NadiaCassini-leo.jpg

Jayne Mansfield
jayneleo.jpg

Bettie Page
bettieleorobe.jpg

Anne Bancroft
annebancroftleo.jpg

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I've got lots of leopard print pics from the 20s and 30s. I don't have access to them right now, but I might later. Here's Joan Blondell in the 1930s:

joan_blondell_01.jpg

And Carole:

4177374142_733a010c2b_o.jpg

maisie

Practically Family
cherry lips said:
I've become mildly obsessed with leopard print of late, and I can't seem to get enough of it

Me too! I have seen quite a few leopard print items from the 40's/50's. Fur gloves, hats and a few weeks back even a sheepskin leopard print CC41 coat from the 1940s!

get_atomized

One of the Regulars
I love leopard prints! And all kinds of animal prints! Most of my outfits have at least some element with animal print, usually zebra or leopard. I too can't get enough! Also the nice thing about items with leopard print is they have great cross-over potentional for vintage-style/formalized outfits as well as for chaotic punk outfits.

Inky

One Too Many
I love leopard but rarely wear it - i have a thing against prints on me (clashes with the ink haha). I did just order a black shrug with leopard fur collar though, for some added fun to my wardrobe.

I'd love some leopard cuffed gloves!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I am also a lover of animal prints. However, I also have nightmares of looking like Peggy Bundy.

I tend to stick with shoes, hats and gloves.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
cherry lips said:
Bette Davis in the 30s:
bette_davis_02.jpg

Oh whoa! Does it get any better than this? She's a work of art!

I love leopard print, could paper the walls with the stuff, lol. The odd thing is that I don't have anything beyond a wool accent rug and two throw pillows. Hmmm...now you guys have me thinking about redoing my boudoir!

I seem to have settled in the 50's genre (for now) and have come across a few gorgeous coats with just the leopard accent at the collar. I can't bid/buy just now because I'm stalking a dress (non leopard) and I know it's going to be a showdown. Until I'm sure I won't bid for the dress, I can't afford to spend another nickel! Um...but I can look, right? lol

Inky, can't wait to see your shrug!

My ultimate leopard coat..."Hello Gorgeous!"
818995_f520.jpg

The Shirt

Practically Family
I have the world's best 60's leopard swing coat with magnets as fasteners. I'm going to have to photograph it this weekend and post. I wore it so much that in college a fella nicknamed me Jenny-leopard-coat. Literally. I wear it still on occasion but the lining is falling apart. I hate to re-do it but trying to salvage it is getting ridiculous.

I really tend to think of it historically as a 50's-60's thing so it's interesting to see it posted with earlier references. Perhaps it can be attributed to the opening/novelty of foreign travel in the 20s-30s.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I was all about leopard in High School- had leopard car seat covers and steering wheel covers, and even comforter and pillows for my room. Kind of left me burnt out, but I like it when done sparingly. There's one outfit in the fashion show in Roberta that makes my heart flutter, though. I've found out I have an affinity for 30s cat prints.
I saw this hat when we were on our trip to Paris and I HAD to have it. It's from the later 30s and I want to make a matching suit jacket and muff for it someday.
cathat1.jpg

cathat2.jpg

cathat3.jpg

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
I like all animal prints, but leopard has been my favorite for years. I'll have to look through my photo files for some of the pin-up and celebrity pictures I've saved over the years (the one currently in my avatar is an example!). I also have loads of leopard print items myself, with my current favorite being the leopard Springolators I bought earlier this year.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Amy Jeanne said:
And Carole:

4177374142_733a010c2b_o.jpg

This is my favorite picture of Carole of all time -- not just for the fashions, but for the expression on her feline's face. I'M NOT JUST A CAT, I'M CAROLE LOMBARD'S CAT, SO THERE YOU PEONS.

As far as animal prints in general go, I think it takes a certain personality to be able to really carry them off: you need to have just a bit of the exotic in you. Me, I'm as exotic as a jar of Miracle Whip, so the most I can get away with is maybe a leopard cuff on a pair of gloves. But one of my nieces can dress in head-to-toe "sauvage," as she calls it, and it's perfect on her.

As far as history goes, I believe there was a trend for animal prints as far back as the teens, in the wake of the original Theda Bara/Vamp craze, and possibly even earlier during the days of Teddy Roosevelt's safaris. For whatever reason, people around 1910-15 were very wild-animal conscious.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:
This is my favorite picture of Carole of all time -- not just for the fashions, but for the expression on her feline's face. I'M NOT JUST A CAT, I'M CAROLE LOMBARD'S CAT, SO THERE YOU PEONS.
Hahahaha! I didn't see that at first. Hysterical!
Lusti Weather said:
I'll have to look through my photo files for some of the pin-up and celebrity pictures I've saved over the years (the one currently in my avatar is an example!).
Please post your pics Lusti Weather! This goes for the rest of you lovelies too! I'm insatiable.

scarlett

One of the Regulars
Thank you ladies for posting all those great photos. I love leopard too and sometimes I also feel a little too "Peggy Bundy" and then think - what's wrong with that?

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I think you are either an animal print person or you are not. And I'm one of the nots! I don't go for them at all, there's just no appeal there.

It takes a certain amount of personality to wear it well. I've seen plenty of bad examples.

Interestingly, don't you think the earlier pics they are more likely to be wearing actual fur rather than print? I love the Bette Davis and Carole Lombard photos. Those ladies have *class* and look swell in the furry stuff. lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner