Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The line between stingy brim and full brim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is a matter of definition rather than personal preference. Talk to any professional hatter and they'll tell you 2" and under is considered the trade standard for stingy.

Last edited:

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
Yeah, I thought the question was "stingy" as a generally accepted term. Not "stingy" as a shorthand for "shorter than whatever size I wear". I'm waiting for someone to chime in and say they wear a 3" brim so 2-7/8" is stingy.

It's kind of like making the mistake of posting a picture around here of a hat with a noticable taper to the crown. You have to sift through all the responses from guys trying to one-up each other in their purist insistence on absolutely square crowns.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, I thought the question was "stingy" as a generally accepted term. Not "stingy" as a shorthand for "shorter than whatever size I wear". I'm waiting for someone to chime in and say they wear a 3" brim so 2-7/8" is stingy.

It's kind of like making the mistake of posting a picture around here of a hat with a noticable taper to the crown. You have to sift through all the responses from guys trying to one-up each other in their purist insistence on absolutely square crowns.

OOOOOOH! Your'e gonna be in trouble now. :)

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Nah, I'm wearing a hat with a 6" tall, square crown and a 2-1/2" brim. I ought to be safe for tonight.
Sounds like a good looking hat to me! I think some shops that sell on line, will have a selection option for stingy brims, and it does seem that most of them are 2 inchers or less.

HatsEnough

Banned

I don't think that you've read the replies carefully enough, if you feel that way.

No one has said that anything over 2-3/8 is too "stingy." And, since there is no such thing as an "official" brim size called "stingy" it makes some variation in sizes axiomatic. In fact, if there were an "official" brim size that was defined as "stingy" the whole thread would have had no purpose at all because we'd already know what "stingy" meant!

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
Well heck, I thought the whole thread had gone tongue-in-cheek. Maybe it's one of those things like brim size and taper...it depends one whose tongue and whose cheek we're talking about...

fmw

One Too Many
Oh no. My Akubra Titan has a 2 1/8" brim. I've always referred to it as stingy. I'll have to change my ways. Is it too tapered for you guys?

titan5.jpg

fmw

One Too Many
Thanks, Job. I like it too. Normally I'm not a fan of narrow brims but this one is right at the line. Actually, I wear it quite a lot.

irfan.wayang

Familiar Face
What is it with this anti-stingy thing? I think most cheap, crappy hats that you see around probably ARE "stingy brims", the made-in-China, tartan pattern, $10 monstrosities that you see in flea markets. On the other hand, the opposite isn't true: not all stingies are monstrosities. I just got a modern Stetson Bantam, probably has a one inch brim. It's a nice little hat for casual town and evening use. Doesn't do much to protect you against the sun in the heat of the day, true, but it has it's place.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
What is it with this anti-stingy thing? I think most cheap, crappy hats that you see around probably ARE "stingy brims", the made-in-China, tartan pattern, $10 monstrosities that you see in flea markets. On the other hand, the opposite isn't true: not all stingies are monstrosities. I just got a modern Stetson Bantam, probably has a one inch brim. It's a nice little hat for casual town and evening use. Doesn't do much to protect you against the sun in the heat of the day, true, but it has it's place.

I've got nothing against stingies. Don't wear them myself, but they do often look very good. I like a little more shade or rain protection (depending on the weather.) They also just don't quite look right on me.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Oh no. My Akubra Titan has a 2 1/8" brim. I've always referred to it as stingy. I'll have to change my ways. Is it too tapered for you guys?

titan5.jpg

Looks like a "stingy" brim to me:) Brims under 2 1/2" and THAT crown is just TOO tapered to be allowed on THIS Forum :) Still it's a DAMN NICE hat and an Akubra at that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner