Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the Long-haired man in a hat

tehrm

New in Town
Can a long-hair embody style?

I catch a bit of flack for my long hair. By long, I mean shoulder length. Long length is the style that has developed for me. Shorter cuts just do not seem to work on my "seven and a quarter, oval long" head.

This only becomes much of a personal issue when I look to wear a hat. Partly at issue is, again, the long, oval skull, but hair draping well below the brim issues new considerations.

Can anyone speak to this constructively? Can a man of style possess long hair?

edit: I did peruse the "hair cuts" thread, but found no items speaking to this issue.
-------------
This is my first post at the Lounge. I first encountered the Lounge while making the vest in the photo linked above. I only needed some photos of period waistcoats, but found much of myself (or vision for myself) reflected in the forums. I've learned much already and hope to become a part of the community as time passes. :)

Selvaggio

One of the Regulars
I reckon long hair and a hat looks just fine- that hat in your flickr shot suits you.

Why the reservations? Is it because hat wearing and long hair on men epitomise very different eras?

If so, I wouldn't worry about that. Era schmera!

cptjeff

Practically Family
3527122947_bbc149d1bb.jpg

You look good in the first, like a normal member of the public in the second, and barking mad in the third.

Go ahead and wear a hat. That style suits you well.

tehrm

New in Town
@Selvaggio

Not so much an issue of anachronism. More that most hats force the hair to flare and produce what I can best describe as "dog ears". I fancy myself a woodsman, but not quite a Dog Man. :)

@cptjeff

hah! I forgot that was on there. That was a visual aid used in a discussion on the limits of subjectivity.

Thanks to both for the encouraging comments.

theinterchange

One Too Many
I firmly believe that a hat looks fantastic on a man with long hair.

The collage of hat, hat, not a hat, good stuff, and you look great in the hat with the hair. Having the facial hair helps, too!

I think it all boils down to what works for the individual, not the whole when it comes to style.

Randy

Selvaggio

One of the Regulars
I see...still I say spaniel-ears schmaniel-ears. The hat still looks good, wear it.

You have there crown and brim dimensions which balance your locks. I suggest that a stingy brim is not for you as it would accentuate the doggy effect - as I think the ball cap and tie do also.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
You look good with a hat and long hair.

My college professor of Art History was balding, had long hair in the back, and a wicked beard. He was also the best damn professor I had.

Long Hair + Awesome = Legend.

Abyss

Familiar Face
It is in my experience that my long hair and my fedora complement each other. I get more positive comments about both of them when they're worn together than when separate! The only exception is my sister, who doesn't really count for this sort of thing you know.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Personally, I think men look fine in hats with long hair. Then again, I seem to have a history of guys with long hair who wear hats....lol

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm29/Caity_Lynn_Susan/Everything and Nothing/PA221512.jpg

You can't quite tell, but this fellow's hair was longer than mine at the time.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2431221&l=cd45307983&id=640721797

I have relatively long hair, and I worry about my hat hair when I wear hats, so I usually braid mine, low pony tail, or (I wouldn't suggest this one for you) pig tails. That way the hair stays put and doesn't go all crazy.

If you're worried about the hat hair after you remove the hat....I can't help you. These styles just seem to make it a bit more bearable for me.

If your worried about the hair pushing on your ears.....well....I can't quite tell you what to do about it. I wear my hats just big enough to cover the tips of my ears.
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm29/Caity_Lynn_Susan/tea.jpg

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
My hair is far longer than any posted so far, and it doesn't worry me.
Although, as my hair is long, it doesn't form your 'dog 'ears' problem either.
No photos to prove it, but there you go.

EDIT: I just wear what I fancy, I don't emulate a specific 1940s style or anything, so I'm not bothered about my hair being an authentic golden age style or what have you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda