Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The loss of a great artist.

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
I need to take a moment and move away from the political rhetoric and speak about the loss of a man I never met but still touched my life and made it a better place. Jerry Goldsmith.

Composer Jerry Goldsmith passed away in his sleep on Wednesday, July 21st, 2004

It is hard for me to explain why I am choking back tears as I write this. I love music. Not just any type of music but the beauty created by a symphony orchestra. More specifically I love orchestral film scores. I have a CD collection of over three hundred scores and the music created by Jerry Goldsmith makes up over a quarter of that collection.

When I was a young boy I began noticing the music that accompanied the onscreen action of my favorite films. I never paid much attention to who wrote the music, I just enjoyed it. As I got older and my musical tastes became more refined I would see that many of the films that had music I absolutely loved kept having the same screen credit show up. Music by Jerry Goldsmith.

He had the uncanny ability to write incredibly powerful and in depth scores for not only high budget blockbusters but also for ?¢‚Ǩ?ìB?¢‚Ǩ? grade films that didn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t deserve his talent. Yet the mere presence of his music would elevate the action and drama on screen far beyond what the filmmakers were able to capture. He put his heart and soul into every project and if he did not enjoy the subject matter or project you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢d never know. He was a true professional and crafted each piece exquisitely. He could drive right to the core of the emotions or motivations or action and communicate the importance or levity of the situation perfectly. His music could soar with unequaled beauty and romance one moment and then instantly transition into unbridled savagery or fear.

As a film score collector one will find composers that they consistently enjoy and will soon begin purchasing their albums on name recognition alone. For me, Jerry Goldsmith was one of these artists. I own many, many film scores by Maestro Goldsmith to films I have never seen or have no intention of seeing. The shear beauty and majesty of his music conjures emotions and visions far more powerful than any low rent picture. However, often times his music alone will inspire me to rent a film I would have otherwise never been interested in.

Jerry Goldsmith wrote for well over one hundred fifty film scores and dozens of television and concert hall pieces. He has been able to make my heart swell with pride, set my adrenaline racing and cause my eyes to well up with tears. I will miss his contributions immensely.

I bid you farewell, Maestro Goldsmith. God?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s speed to you, sir and thank you. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Koreana

Familiar Face
I knew you would post this Edge. I love film scores and when I heard of his passing, I also was deeply saddened. First denial though... I cannot add anymore to what you posted other than I will truly miss him.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Ah the art of scoring, the modern great composers, when one passes, it hurts us all. We have lost truely one of the greats that will never come again, a chapter in history documented by song.

havershaw

Practically Family
The 70s and 80s were sort of the golden age of film scores, if you ask me...and Jerry Goldsmith was a big part of it. This is the first I've heard about his passing...he will certainly be missed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21