Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Man From UNCLE movie

MikeKardec

One Too Many
When I studied TV production in college, I found that stupid humor was the easiest format to do. So when I see a movie or TV show that is filled with it, I feel like it's kind of a lazy cop-out because they couldn't be bothered to put a little more work into something serious.

I've always found that smart, character based, humor tend to appear in any script as you perfect and perfect it. When it is really ready to go it just starts getting funny on it's own. Stupid humor probably shows up when lesser talents try to push it but, never actually trying to be funny, I haven't had that experience. The sort of character based humor I'm talking about rarely makes a script a "comedy," however. Some good examples of great character based humor in non comedies that seem to have developed from really honing scripts would be The Wind and the Lion and nearly every episode of Justified ... a truly fantastically written show!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner