Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Man Who Designed America

MaximOfSurrey

Familiar Face
http://www.life.com/image/73574583/in-gallery/35402/#index/0

With a quick snippet:

Modeling the Future

Arguably the most influential industrial designer of the 20th century, French-born Raymond Loewy (1893 - 1986) fashioned or utterly re-imagined a dizzying array of products and brands during a career spanning seven decades. Writer, illustrator, and co-founder of the Web's best blog, BoingBoing, Mark Frauenfelder has been fascinated by Loewy's work for years. In this gallery, Mark celebrates his favorite Loewy projects, and muses on the man's enduring appeal.

Loewy certainly had style, I'll give him that! A quick glance didn't seem to show any other threads on the subject, so I hope I'm not double posting.

Very true. Dreyfuss' designs are still recognizable to the masses today. The round thermostat which is still in many homes, also the 500 and 302 telephones come to mind.

And who can forget Loewy's Avanti, his work with Stude was great. You just don't see that kind of talent anymore.

Engrishman

Familiar Face
I think anyone responsible for designing the brand image of a cornerstone American corporation like Coca-Cola would have massive amounts of influence on modern society. It's like Alphonse Mucha and his commercial art, which is much more persistent and recognizable than his epic works like the Slav paintings.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
And who can forget Loewy's Avanti

I keep trying. ;)

his work with Stude was great.

I do love the early stuff. The '53 coupe is a masterpiece (although Studebaker stylist Bob Bourke had arguably as much or more to do with that design than Loewy).

Much as I love the designs of Loewy and Dreyfuss, I would argue that Daniel Burnham and the others who developed the first "Chicago School" of architecture paint a much clearer picture of how America sees itself even today.

-Dave

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Hey, it's an ugly little car, but you'll never forget it. And there was sure no others like it!

I actually go back and forth on it; but you caught me at a bad time. Here's what I had to say one other time:

I go back and forth myself. But either way, I don’t think they make good traditional hot rod material. Their basic look is too modern. Just as the ‘53 Studebaker would not have looked out of place if it had been introduced in 1963, the ‘62 Avanti would not have looked out of place in 1972. Thus, I think they fall outside of the aesthetic era that I associate with HAMB traditional.

That being said, an Avanti might make a good pro-touring type build with some 17-inch gray-center mags, a lowering, and a twin-turbo, fuelie Studebaker 304 or Cadillac 500 backed up with a 6-speed and Corvette IRS.

I don’t think you can go wrong with a ‘53-‘55 Loewy coupe or hardtop. My dad had always talked about building one, and I liked the idea myself.

-Dave

-Dave

Atomic Age

Practically Family
I think anyone responsible for designing the brand image of a cornerstone American corporation like Coca-Cola would have massive amounts of influence on modern society. It's like Alphonse Mucha and his commercial art, which is much more persistent and recognizable than his epic works like the Slav paintings.

He didn't actually design the coke bottle, he re-designed it, in fact removing some of the curve that was so distinctive about the bottle. Additionally he eliminated the iconic Coca-Cola script. The company went back to its original designs with in a few years, though they kept the "Coke" type face also, the Coca-Cola script on one side of the bottle, and the Coke type face on the other.

Doug

Last edited:

Atomic Age

Practically Family
If we are going to talk about designers who really shaped the look of corporate America, then we have to talk about Saul Bass, who had such a huge hand in the identities of so many companies in the latter half of the 20th century.

He designed the logos for:
AT&T
Avery International
Continental Airlines
Dixie
The Girl Scouts of America
Lawry Foods
Geffen Records
Minolta
Quaker Oats
Rockwell International
United Airlines
United Way
Warner Communications
YWCA

In addition to movie posters for the likes of:
Psycho
Anatomy of a Murder
Vertigo
West Side Story
The Man with the Golden Arm

And he created the title sequences for most of those films among others.

1_saul_bass_portrait.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saul_Bass

Doug

Last edited:

Richard Warren

Practically Family
I did not think I would live long enough for anyone to say anything good about mid-20th century American commercial design. I'm not impressed.

Swing Motorman

One of the Regulars
Very neat slideshow, but they missed the big-ticket railroad item. The S1 was spiffy, but not very useful. Loewy refined the body design of one of the finest working machines ever to grace American transportation, known simply as the GG1. When a 1935 design is still hauling passengers in 1983, now that's iconic!

The picture is of a model I have:
8-28-09_GG1_img1.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925