Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Martini

Wil Tam

Practically Family
I prefer vodka martinis myself....

1) I first chill my tini glasses with water & ice then I fill my shaker with ice plus a splash of dry vermouth shaking it hard then letting it sit a moment ...

2) I then take my Ketel One out of the freezer ... straining out the vermouth out of the shaker, keeping the ice [this method softens the flavor] I pour in 2 measures of the vodka adding a splash of the olive brine [for a dirty martini] ...

3) Shake vigorously or until some of the ice flakes, pour out the water & ice from the tini glasses then strain/pour concoction into glasses adding about 4 healthy olives to each glass

4) Repeat if necessary ;)

----------------
Now playing: James Brown - Smokin' & Drinkin'
via FoxyTunes

miss_elise

Practically Family
at bartending school I made a martini that was 1 part vermouth to 3 parts gin...

I was informed that this was incorrect...

I no longer bartend and prefer to make my own (particularly when i ask for an olive and get a twist instead...)

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
miss_elise said:
at bartending school I made a martini that was 1 part vermouth to 3 parts gin...

More correct than most these days!

Brad

Wil Tam

Practically Family
it's a matter of preference

miss_elise said:
i know... the teacher said "ohhh, you've made a very dry martini..."

I had thought that was the point

Individual tastes I s'pose .. I don't particularly like the taste of vermouth but it is needed in a martini [huh]

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
miss_elise said:

I no longer bartend and prefer to make my own (particularly when i ask for an olive and get a twist instead...)

I asked for a twist once. And got a twist......AND and olive. :rolleyes: Now, when they ask if I want a lime, or a lemon twist, I don't think it's as funny, as I used to.

BigLittleTim

Familiar Face
DIRTY martini

OH! Getting the correct, traditional, SINGLE olive is almost impossible today. Most bartenders seem to gravitate toward the lemon twist. If you insist on AN olive they give you the bizarre "dirty martini" (akin to the "dirty bomb"?) sporting half a dozen olives and a jigger of olive juice to boot.

-BigLittleTim

BigLittleTim

Familiar Face
F.D.R. Martini

WHERE did I read that F.D.R. mixed a drop of Absinthe into his Martini cocktail; "to obliterate the palate"?

-BigLittleTim

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
BigLittleTim said:
WHERE did I read that F.D.R. mixed a drop of Absinthe into his Martini cocktail; "to obliterate the palate"?

-BigLittleTim

A dash of absinthe in a Martini was not that unusual. You can even see it on Jeeves and Wooster.

It's more likely FDR used one of the American substitutes such as Legendre Herbsaint, or Jung & Wulff's Milky-Way, Abson, Green Opal, and so on.. back in the day they were more readily available.

Absinthe_1900 said:
A dash of absinthe in a Martini was not that unusual. You can even see it on Jeeves and Wooster.

It's more likely FDR used one of the American substitutes such as Legendre Herbsaint, or Jung & Wulff's Milky-Way, Abson, Green Opal, and so on.. back in the day they were more readily available.

Herbsaint doesn't sound like it would be that bad an addition. How much though? [huh]

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
You'd use it like cocktail bitters, just a dash, or you could rinse your martini glass like these vintage instructions from 1937:

37Herbsaintbooklet.jpg

BigLittleTim

Familiar Face
Absinthe_1900 said:

Thanks, Absinthe 1900,

Great name, by-the-by! If you didn't know, I doubt who would.

Cheers!

-BigLittleTim

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Anachronism said:
The Vesper Martini (aka the James Bond drink)
3 measures of gin
1 measure of vodka
1/2 a measure of dry vermouth (they don't make kina lillet anymore, which is what he drinks in the book)

M'am an excellent choice.
I believe that Lillet Blanc is till available (there's a red version too), sadly not quite as bitter as Kina Lillet but it's not a bad substitute.
That said, Noilly Prat is pretty good too. :)

seahound

New in Town
The Quintessential Martini

Using the search function I've been able to find threads on gin, vodka and vermouth. Let's put them all together in a thread about Martinis. Gin or Vodka. Sweet or dry. Perfect or dirty. Olive or onion or a twist. Not apple-tinis, choco-tinis or bacon-tinis but actual, honest-to-Bond martinis.

I'll start. I love gin but can't stand vodka, so I drink gin martinis. I like them really dry and really cold. Here's my recipe:
Put a bottle of gin in the freezer. Come back tomorrow.
Combine:
Handful of ice.
Gordon's Gin to taste (usually a jigger and a pony).
A few drops (yes, drops) of vermouth.
Stir a few times around the mixer, strain into a cocktail glass with 2 onions.

How do you make yours?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Editor's Note: Three threads on the perfect martini merged into one (Including the excellent "Adulterer's Cocktail of Choice" thread and the new "Quintessential Martini" thread.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner