Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The mask: Jim Carrey

Ember

New in Town
Hello all, new member here :)

After a bit of searching around the boards here, it seems there aren't any threads for Jim Carrey's 'The Mask'!

My partner is a huge fan of this film, and has asked me to make him a screen-accurate bright yellow zoot-suit.

I have found canary-yellow suiting fabric, as well as dalmatian-print lining fabric. We will sculpt the 'mask' from latex, and my partner already has a head-cast we can use as a base for the mask.

I believe this forum is more suit-wearing based, but if anyone's interested I'll post my progress here :)

6.jpg

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I think zoot suits get a bum rap most of the time. I gather they were forced out of style once the US entered the war, as the amount of material they required was considered unjustifiable in days of shortages and rationing due to the war effort. Cab Calloway, anyone?

Too bad. I love the film the The Mask in part because of the vintage themes (The Coco Bongo Club - love it!).

MaXer

New in Town
I know it's an old thread, but is there any progress? I'm very interested in this project. :eusa_clap

Torpedo

One Too Many
MaXer said:
I know it's an old thread, but is there any progress? I'm very interested in this project. :eusa_clap

I would say it is unlikely -the original poster has this one, single, post (in this thread and any other). If there was any progress, he never posted any updates.

MaXer

New in Town
Yea, I noticed the single post. I was hoping he thought there was no interest, but still read in here once in a while.

Oh well, if anyone has any experience with this suit I'd be happy to hear about it. I wan't one of these some day. :)

I can't even see his profile because I haven't written 15 posts yet... Maybe I should totally spam this thread. lol

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I hated the movie, and I've never been a fan of Zoot suits. Chances are the poster didn't get the reaction he was looking for and stopped coming in.

Too bad, because it would be interesting to see some pictures of the suit reproduced accurately, as gawdy as it was. :rolleyes:

MaXer

New in Town
Haha, hey, stop bad mouthing one of my favorite flicks! lol

Loved the movie! I do like suits. Although not more than the average Joe. I've never worn a Zoot suit, or have any special feelings towards it. But MAN do I wanna own that particular suit!

Ember

New in Town
I'm still around!
(It's a "She", by the way :p)

Seeing as there was no interest here at the time, his other costume requests took priority. I still have all the fabric and the base pattern, and may find the time over the next few months to get back on track with it.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I like that costume, and the only reason I wouldn't wear it, is because it would be a costume. Same reason I no longer pair a leather jacket, khaki pants and brown fedora. I have been looking into other colors than yellow though, to look cool but not look like The Mask.

navarre

Vendor
I'd love to see the progress. Following the hand making of anything is great. And I do agree that the zoot suit just gets a bad rep. Having the moxie to pull off over the top style is not everyones bag and thats why such things look off most of the time. But having staight confidence can make anything look good. Here IS a little story about......

MaXer

New in Town
Yai, she answered! I followed the link to your home page, cool outfits! I'd love to follow the progress of this suit, go make your partner interested again. lol

Would you mind letting me in on which fabrics you use, and where I can get them? I have no skills at all myself in costume making, or even sewing. My plan is to drop it of a tailor and have them do it.

Edward

Bartender
Interesting, I too missed this on original posting. I'm always interested to see a great costume being put together. I rather like zoot suits myself (albeit the more conservative, original varieties), though I've always shied away from buying one as I'm not sure when I'd ever wear it.

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
Loathe the film, as I can't stand the actor - but I'd like to see the progress of your project. Especially how you go about constructing a jacket (fitting, collar construction, interfacing etc) and fitting/pattern making the trousers of course.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I prefer Dick Tracy to The Mask in the primary-colored-suit-showdown but I wish Ember all the luck with a fun idea like this, and she's nicer to her man about sewing than I am to mine. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot