Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the morning routine

BowTieSoFly

New in Town
Black coffee (like my father and his father before him) and cereal... occasionally bacon and eggs. work or no work I am usually planning all kinds of things to do 'later'. The next day I plan some more...

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Work day: Get up. Get ready in the bathroom. My husband makes me breakfast (a yogurt shake) and black tea with milk. Choke down shake and half the tea. Realize that the bus is going to be at my stop now, grab my bag, try to find my gloves and hat in a rush. Either whine about the bus and get a ride in or run for the bus. Make the bus (or walk back to the house miserable and defeated to catch the next one in an hour).

Non-work day: Wake up to the smell of bacon, eggs, and tea (black, green, or white). Get breakfast in bed, delivered by husband dearest. Check my email and courses. Eventually get out of bed, get dressed and ready for the day. That makes me sound like a princess, doesn't it? ;)

To quote the Don Williams song "Coffee, Black, Cigarette, Start this day like all the rest."

But really, get up, shower, shave, dress, comb hair, brush teeth, make coffee, go downstairs to the gun shop, check up on everything, hop on the computer and hit the FL lol Then it's off to the plant at 12:55.

Weekends, get up, do the same, then spent the day at the gun shop on Saturday til we close, then off to the antique shops the rest of the day and Sunday and spend the afternoon/evening with friends and/or family.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Open eyes, mumble "oh gawd not again."
Fumble for glasses, hold onto nightstand so I don't fall over.
Struggle into bathrobe, trip over sash on way to bathroom.
Stumble downstairs, open door to porch for cat. Squint into sunlight or curse rain, depending on conditions.
Shuffle into kitchen, fill cat's bowl, throw tea bag into cup, put kettle on. Scream incoherently if there are no tea bags.
Turn radio on.
Pour kettle, give tea fifteen minutes to steep. Cook three strips bacon, two scrambled eggs, white toast. Drink tea in one gulp. Eat breakfast while reading yesterday's newspaper.
Make way to desk, check Lounge to make sure everything is under control.
Once tea has taken effect, go back upstairs and get dressed.

Saturday: go to lunchroom downtown for breakfast. Scowl at noisy kid at next table.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Alarm goes off. Exactly 30 minutes of hitting the snooze button. Roll over and get my face thoroughly licked by my lurcher and rub his chest 'til he purrs. If I have to work or go to dance class, off to the shower, then back to the bedroom to collect aforementioned lurcher and 2 greyhounds to go out for pee (them, not me). Pour coffee ready from programmable cafetiere, dose the soya milk and stevia, then bring the pooches back in and back upstairs to do makeup, get dressed and have coffee. The lurcher bounds back upstairs to bed, whilst greyhound one goes to sleep on the couch and greyhound 2 goes to sleep on his bed (yes, I am often jealous). Then back downstairs, one glass of water and take my meds. 30-35 minutes from my feet hitting the floor, I kiss the greyhounds and I'm out the door.

I love days off when I can spend extra time after the face licking getting the greyhounds in turn on the bed and giving them "scritchies" 'til their teeth begin chattering (which is their reaction to pleasure or excitement), and later drinking my coffee whilst perusing the Lounge, for example.

It's all about the dogs in my house, no doubt about it. And that cup of coffee...

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Up at 5am, put water and coffee in Bunn coffee maker. Put hot water (from the bathroom) in thermal caraffe.
By the time I do that and "get rid of last night's drinks..." my coffee is ready. Go back and shave with badger hair brush, shave soap, and a double edged safety razor. Let my "girls" out, while fixing a Jimmy Dean D'Lite sandwich and toast. Get my breakfast, let the girls back in, and cruise the internet for 30 minutes. Then at 6am or so, I get up and get ready for work, with more coffee in a stainless steel cup (it doesn't break when I drop it!), slap on some Bayrum aftershave, and grab my briefcase so I'm out the door in 30 minutes. Some days like today...I'm ironing a few shirts before work, so I can sleep in a bit tomorrow. :D

adouglasmhor

Familiar Face
Alarm goes of at 6AM, up slippers and dressing gown, down stairs, wash, shave brush teeth and other ablutions. Put on my boxers and an undershirt if it's winter.
Wash last nights dishes, iron a shirt if I don't have one ready and hang up any washing from the machine (run it at night when we get off peak rate on electricity). Stick kettle on and drink a glass of grapefruit juice. Pour boiling water onto an earl grey tea bag in a mug. get shirt, socks and trousers on. Put on toast, drink tea. Put on my tie, turn on computer and telly, 30 mins news and surfing as I eat my toast. go up and say goodbye to the missus, drive to work. That's a full hour right there.

JimWagner

Practically Family
Up at 6 a.m. Perform morning self-sacrifice (shave). Hit the shower. Get dressed. Retrieve keys and wallet from their usual place. Pause a minute or two trying to remember what I was supposed to remember from the night before. Kiss the wife. Out the door by 6:30 a.m. Drive to work. Now I remember what I was supposed to bring along. Maybe tomorrow.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Because I'm a university student doing a course online (although previously I did attend regular classes), my morning routine is highly variable, but it generally involves...

Waking Up. Anywhere between 8:00am-9:30am. Anything later than that is considered oversleeping in my book (unless it's weekend).

Turn on the computer. Read the morning news. Get the fuzziness and sleep out of my eyes.

Brush teeth. Shave if necessary. Do hair if necessary (if I'm going out). Christen the latrine.

About 10:00am. Breakfast (fruit-bar and water or toast and eggs or cereal...depends on what's in the fridge).

10:00am onwards, to be interrupted by a walk, exercise and meals: Websurfing combined with university homework & assignments.

Now that I don't actually have any uni work (holidays), replace that last bit with blogging, writing and zines. I spend a lot of my time writing. It's my chief hobby.

Weekends:

Saturday: Wake up late. Websurfing, writing and then start doing chores and housework.

Sunday: Depends. I may sleep in. Every second week, I tend to wake up at 4:30 in the morning. Change. Websurf and then head off for a half-hour walk in the freezing pre-dawn air to the local flea-market in the next suburb for a bargain-hunt. I get a good 3-5 hours' exercise this way. Nonstop walking.

Last edited:

TCMfan25

Practically Family
I wake up at 5:00 immediately get a shower and then get dressed by 6:00. Then I mosey on downstairs to the kitchen where I make myself an Everything Bagel with Cream Cheese (Salmon), make a cup of PG Tips tea via built in insincerator (Hot water dispenser), eat until 6:20, at that time my brothers wake up, I then relax on the sofa checking if I have everything I need and sometimes flick on the morning news until I have to leave around 7:30.

On wednesdays I wake up extra early to catch the Three Stooges.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I open my eyes at 7am NO MATTER WHAT every morning. Even if I went to bed at 6, my eyes open at 7. The alarm is set as a failsafe but I always beat it. I nudge the wife to get up. I'll turn on the news and go online (of course the FL is my first stop). The wife will get her coffee (I don't touch the stuff) and then we'll bicker about who will wake up our daughter at 7:15 for school or camp. One of us will make her breakfast.
I do all shaving and showering at night, so depending when I'm working I may be able to just brush my teeth, futz with my hair and leave. But because I work retail and my hours are all over the place, and almost never early in the morning, I may start some household chores while the girls get ready for their day.

TraditionalFrog

One of the Regulars
I start my day at five. Out of bed in the next five minutes. Next, I down a glass of water, then make my bed. After that I shower, shave and dress, takes about a half hour. Next, I spend about fifteen minutes in prayers and Scripture. About six I have a light breakfast. After breakfast I like to have a cuppa tea (no coffee for me, thank you) and look over the morning paper. Around seven or so, I check a few web sites and my email whilst listening to some relaxing music (usually classical or Big Band). After that it's just small things (bits & bobs) until about eight. At eight, I either go for a 45 minute walk, or earlier if it's summer. My morning routine ends right around nine.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Alright, I'll bite.

Up at 7:30. Brush teeth, grease hair, deodorize. Place clothes firmly on body and pocket various accessories. Enter living room, open blinds, put on and tie shoes.

Enter kitchen, put together ham sandwich, almonds, cottage cheese for the day. Place lunch in bag, and bag in work-satchel.

Pour glass of water. Take two slices of cold ham. Peel two boiled eggs. Toast one slice and apply butter firmly. Sit at coffee table in silence and eat breakfast. Place dirty dishes next to sink, put hat on head firmly, exit, lock door.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I like that people here manage to eat breakfast. I can get in a cup of tea these days, but skipping breakfast is a bad holdover from college. Most mornings I had to get up at 5.45am to make an 8.00am lecture (long bus commute), and this was especially hard in winter since it would be pitch dark out. I couldn't even remember my name on those unholy mornings, much less manage to prepare food.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Ugh, mornings.

Weekdays: Wake up at 5:30 when husband gets up. Finally get out of bed around 6:15 - make bed, feed cats & dog and let dog out, see husband off to work. Deal with whatever chores are needed - wash & hang laundry, empty dishwasher, take out trash & recycling, start dinner in slow cooker, etc. Then shower, hair, makeup, and off to work! I never mess with coffee or breakfast until I'm at the office. I just don't make time for it.

Weekend (ideal): Sleep in. Make bed, feed cats & dog and let dog out, then sit at the bar and read a magazine or something else lazy while husband makes coffee and breakfast.

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
The old "Westclox America" rings at 7:05 each morning. Out of bed, into the bathroom, run the tub, bathe, shave, dress, down to the kitchen.
Grind the coffee, (we use one of those Arcade mills with the glass resevoir for beans) light the (gas) range and put the coffee pot (just a plain old aluminum percolator) on the ring. then upstairs to try to pry the better half out of bed!

over breakfast we listen to the news ("Morning Edition") on the radio, then off to my workshop at 9:00.

rotebander

New in Town
Up at five, take out pin curls, get dressed, first cup of tea, do hair and makeup, pack lunch and make breakfast, make sure everything is in book bag, off to school at 6:45, have breakfast and second cup of tea in the car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy