Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The most amazing newpaper front page I've seen...

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
click

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
You're welcome.

Of course the most (in)famous Chicago Tribune front page was.........

dewey%20defeats%20truman_thumb%5B4%5D.jpg

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family

lol! I have to admit that I laughed at the headline. Capone is front page news with huge letters. Edison's death almost seems like a little side note ("BTW, Edison died too. Shouldn't he be put on the front page of the paper?" "Yeah, sure. Just place him under Capone." lol lol). Didn't realize that both happened at the same time! Thanks for posting this.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
A classic here:

6ab0_1.jpg

That is an extremely significant one, especially now. Whatever the truth of the matter, when John Major just squeeked into power in the 1992 election, the Sun claimed "It was the Sun wot won it".... and Westminster believed them. Thus began in earnest the long run of successive prime ministers of all political stripes courting the Murdoch press (and fearing them) - the fallout of which we are, of course, now seeing writ large as the UK arm of the Murdoch Empire begins to crumble.

One that always sticks in my mind, but that alas I can find no online photos of is the Daily Mail headline "Hurrah for the Blackshirts", from a January 1934 article by the proprietor Lord Rothermere, in which he praised Oswald Moseley, leader of the British Union of Facists, for his "sound, commonsense, Conservative doctrine". In 1933, Rothermere had also written: "The minor misdeeds of individual Nazis would be submerged by the immense benefits the new regime is already bestowing on Germany." Needless to say, the paper changed its tune a few short years later, and this particular period of its history is one that it is very keen to keep quiet.

Edward

Bartender
And the most sickening
Newspaper_Headlines_-_King_Edward_Viii_Announces_He_Will_Marry_Mrs._Wallace_Simpson.jpg

I don't think I would have said "sickening", but I do find it bizarre that they felt the need to use this marriage (bearing particularly in mind that the Anglican church was established with the monarch at its head in large part to facilitate Henry VIII's divorce from his first wife) as a reason to get rid of him rather than being open about the Nazi sympathies he and Mrs Simpson shared. Perhaps in those days the government felt that the monarchy enjoyed a level of unquestioning support that any attempt to criticise it would hit them hard at the polls?

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
And how can we forget the headline of 1926? that was a biggie too:D

Twelve thousand people had gathered to view the earthy remains of The Great Lover at Campell's funeral Church in New York. 80.000 mourners weeping, shrieking, fainting. A task force of 200 policemen struggling to keep the crowds under control, mounties were hissed as "Cossacks" when they charged hysterical mourners..... it was so horrible! And then, at the pressure of the crowd, the windows in the funeral parlor gave way my dears! can you imagine? total chaos :eeek: ... Krishnamurti the hindu teacher view this phenomenon with bewilderment. "Rudolph is not dead" he told reporters, he will come back...

paper5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot