Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The most horrible remake ever to be made

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Well, the guy doing Ollie is not bad at all, but Bronson whats-his-name as Stan, what a big nothing! All the people over the years who have done Stanley, and they couldn't find a good one? The team dies without Stan.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
dhermann1 said:
Well, the guy doing Ollie is not bad at all, but Bronson whats-his-name as Stan, what a big nothing! All the people over the years who have done Stanley, and they couldn't find a good one? The team dies without Stan.
Completely agree.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I read a great book on L&H by John McCabe (the preeminent L&H expert) called "The Comedy World of Stan Laurel". He also did the definitive bio, "Mr Laurel and Mr Hardy". He used the phrase "fathomless stupidity" to describe the essential quality of Stan's character. Stanley was so brainless he was in touch with another dimension, and this other dimension leaked through him to our universe continually. Stan set it up so that every minute he was on screen SOMETHING off the wall was happening to him. When the shooting was over for the day, Ollie would zoom out to the golf course, while Stan spent the evening writing the next day's script. It was Stan who came up with all the gags. So Stan always got two paychecks, while Ollie got one, and everyone thought this was thoroughly fair.
BTW, I've been getting emails from the Sons of the Desert, and if Iever get it together to join, I'll be attending their meetings at the magnificent Players' Club down on Gramercy Park. Great group. I'm sure they're appalled by this.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Dick Van Dyke probably did the best Stan Laurel. He idolized Laurel growing up and they later became great friends. Van Dyke delivered the eulogy at Laurel's funeral.

[YOUTUBE]wuAq_ql-TeY[/YOUTUBE]

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
A 1957 interview with Stan Laurel:

[YOUTUBE]2ntv5HMedXQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]-mQdVXZYmDo[/YOUTUBE]

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I'm just going by the trailer, but what I find interesting is that usually the guy doing Hardy just does the fat thing and twiddles his tie, and thinks he's doing Ollie. While the Stan scratches his head and squints his eyes. In this, the Stan doesn't even do that, but the Ollie has captured a lot of Ollie's mannerisms and timing. Ollie was really funny too, as the perpetually exasperated victim.
This film may kindle new interest in the Boys, then again, if it's as bad as it looks, it may turn people off to them, which would be a shame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24