Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Most Iconic Swimsuits Ever

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
5892337447_dcdf9fae2b.jpg

Australian Surf Life Savers

5892337199_62a7ca52f4.jpg

Mojito

One Too Many
I will not take seriously any list of supposedly "iconic" swimsuits that doesn't contain a reference to Annette Kellerman.

Her one piece revolutionised swimwear - she's the one who said she couldn't possibly swim wearing more clothes than you hung on a clothesline.

She caused tremendous controversy in the teens and early twenties...was arrested in Boston, and even into the early 20s so-called "Annette Kellermans" were subject to being hauled in for indecency.

"The Million Dollar Mermaid", the Annette Kellerman biopic, has her swimsuit as a major plot element.

So iconic is the Annette Kellerman swimsuit that a few years ago when the Australian National Maritime Museum held an exhibition on swimwear, some of the biggest swimwear designers in the world contributed modern interpretations of the Kellerman outfit.

And yet a costume worn in the Charlies' Angels remake is on the list while she isn't?

Pfffffft.

The Annette Kellerman swimsuit should be the FIRST one listed. It had far more impact than any of the others, and will be remembered far longer.

(The fact I own an Annette Kellerman woollen swimwear piece from the 1920s doesn't bias me in the least).

annette_kellerman_1.jpg

220px-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner