Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The most important meal of the day!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Breakfast!

Now my favourite way to break a fast would have to be Eggs Benedict, as far as I am concerned it's the king of the breakfast table.

But I am also partial to the good old fry up, especially after a "big" night or on a cold winter's morning - eggs, bacon, black pudding, sausages, tomatoes, loads of hot buttered toast with marmelade, and a huge pot of tea.

What's your favourite breakfast?

Nashoba

One Too Many
my ideal breakfast.....one I don't have to cook! lol

Actually my favorite breakfasts are on Saturday mornings when my husband is home and I get up before he does and make whatever comes to mind that I have the ingredients for. Sometimes pancakes, sometimes waffles or french toast (made from Challah is the best!), eggs and always local bacon that I get from a local run store in town every other friday. He usually wakes up to the smell of bacon drifting upstairs (or the dog pouncing on him not able to take watching him sleep anymore) and stumbles downstairs about the time I'm done cooking.

I am rather partial to what my mom called 'toads in the hole' when I was kid. or just toads. Piece of bread with a circle cut out from the middle with an egg fried in the hole left. Cook until just a bit of the yolk is still runny.

Starius

Practically Family
My mother is from England originally but is an Australian citizen. So, living in the midwest I was raised on slightly different meals than my friends were.

A common breakfast for me growing up was
eggs over easy,
bacon,
fried mushrooms,
toast, and
baked beans.​

Baked beans goes really well with this kind of breakfast yet I was the only one I knew growing up that ate them for breakfast.

Also, the very British "beans on toast" was a common quick breakfast as well for me.

But, I have to say that my favorite breakfast is most definitely British... soft boiled eggs in egg cups.

Not a common breakfast here in the midwest by any means. But I love it. When I was in Australia a few years ago, I found a stainless steel eggcup set made in Denmark which I picked up at a antique store. Its perfect, and impossible to find such things where I live.
I butter a few slices of bread and cut them into "fingers" which can easily be dipped in the egg.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I'm with the Baron - most of the time I simply have no appetite for several hours after waking up. Some coffee at home, then coffee and a roll or some Stella Doro cookies when I arrive at work, and I'm good until lunch. I only eat proper breakfasts when I'm on vacation... My usual three-meal plan is lunch, dinner, and late snack!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
When I have time I make myself eggs over easy. If I'm in a hurry (frequently) marmalade and almond butter on multi grain bread. Today it was banana and almond butter on double fibre bread. When I get to work I have my coffee and some kind of pastry for "second breakfast" or "elevenses".
I love softboiled eggs. They're almost a lost art. When I was 4 or 5 my great aunt gave me a 1939 NY World's Fair spoon (which I still have) and a beautiful egg cup. The egg cup had a rooster on the side, and around the top it said "My Love Will Stop When This Rooster Crows". Somehow the egg cup disappeared over the years, but I still love my World's Fair spoon (just like Archie Bnker). Someone recently gave me a pair of egg cozeys for those rare times when I make soft boiled eggs. For those who don't know what an egg cozey (or a tea cozey, for that matter) is, it's a little knit (in the shape of a chicken) cover that sits on top of your egg to keep it warm until you eat it. Tea cozeys are similar knit or crocheted covers for teapots that keep them warm also.
Years ago we had a reunion with my mother's adopted cousin (adopted by the aforementioned great aunt). He chuckled when the subject of breakfast came up. Apparently the two (very English) great aunts that raised him made a big formal meal out of breakfast that he never forgot.
I also make a mean French Toast, if I say so myself. That is ideally eaten in the garden on a sunny Sunday morning.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Normally it's a toasted bagle with jam or honney and a piece of dark ryebread with cheese. And a cuppa strong tea.
In Cuba I learned to enjoy a tortilla (omelet) made up with 2-3 egs, fried onions, ham and green pebber...so if I have the time...:p
And then it's black coffee.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I believe this idea of having eggs and toast for breakfast came from the Brits. I recall a scene in "Tea With Mussolini" where Joan Plowright shows this Italian kid the "proper" way to have breakfast.
Everyone was shocked when the Russians started having Big Macs for breakfast when McDonald's first opened in Moscow. Hey, there's no hard and fast rule what's good for breakfast! My brother used to put away 4 eggs and a couple of slabs of fried corn meal mush. Some people guzzle down a can of diet soda! Whatever gets you started, right?

Rosie

One Too Many
Favorite breakfast? Kind of depends on my mood. For a while it was chocolate chip pancakes, then for a while, it was sweet potato pancakes. A bit more recently, it was blueberry scones with sweet butter and strawberry preserves. Sometimes its yogurt and granola with bananas and blueberries.
[huh] Just depends.

Matt Noir

One of the Regulars
I love a good bagel and cream cheese (a good NYC/NJ bagel - boiled before baking) - not these horrendous abominations you get in the grocery store.

Most mornings for me it is a bowl of Uncle Sam cereal and a cup of coffee - if I am feeling saucy I will make a mocha.

On Sundays I like to have a nice omelette or some 10 grain pancakes.

Regards,

Matt

Thanks...now I am hungry...

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I've also read that lunch is really the most important meal. This expert said that most of your nutrition is already in your alimentary canal or bloodstream in the morning, and breakfast can be any kind of pick me up you want. The main source of nourishment should be the midday meal. I've also read that kids who ate something with sugar in it for breakfast were more alert in the morning for school. I'm trying to cut down on sugar. My last blood tests showed "elevated insulin levels", meaning my body is trying to develop type 2 diabetes.
Anyhow, this expert says you should have your biggest most nutritious meal at midday, and supper should be light. When you go to bed with a too full stomach, that's when the food turns directly to flab.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Meat

I'm reading Dick Proenneke's tale of life alone in the Alaskan wilderness, and his daily fare of sourdough pancakes and bacon in the cabin is making me NUTS. It sounds SO good.

But for me, it's scrambled & bacon or sausage every morning, with perhaps yogurt and always coffee. I miss Cracklin' Oat Bran a lot.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
My favorite is a homemade egg sandwich on an english muffin with bacon and lousy American cheese, but sometimes a bowl of cereal hits the spot. Special K or Raisin Bran are my favorites.

For special events I like to make French Eggs, which is essentially a variation on an egg sandwich; croissant, scrambled eggs, canadian bacon.

Girl Friday

Practically Family
There's a great breakfast at the Goldrush Cafe called the John Wayne, corn tortilla with hashbrowns, egg (over easy for me!), cheese and salsa, all stacked on top. And bacon or sausage. Wow, it is so good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner