Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Natural

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
No.....I am not talking about getting more fiber in your diet. I am talking about a movie that I watched for the first time last night.

I never bothered with this film because it was about baseball....which doesn't interest me. Little did I know what a cool golden era period film this was. It is not really about sports. It is about magic.....cinema magic. The magic of life that is only in movies.

The movie had excellent production value. The photography was beautiful. There were several magic hour shots that look amazing. The art direction was perfect and the wardrobe was admirable. The one point I will pick on is Barbera Hershey's make-up was not correct for the period. That is a common problem with actresses. They have too much power and can demand to be dolled up in modern trends in a period film. Often they get their way in spite of the film. Julia Roberts is coming out in film set in the 30's calledMona Lisa Smile. She looks just like she does in all her movies. OK I am done with my rant.

I really liked The Natural . I am really glad the guys here insisted that I see it. It is a great golden era motion picture.

The_Natural1.jpg

mmarosy

One of the Regulars
I LOVE this movie. It one of those that you always find yourself catching while channel surfing and then sit for 3 hours until it ends.

Captivating.

Mike

Williamson

New in Town
My wife uses this movie as part of her American author series for her English classes every year. The music, the sounds, the look of the film as well as the costumes give it that Golden Era feel. I remember that this came out the same summer as TOD, 1984, and I liked the similarity of the fedora and clothing style. A real feel good movie for all ages. Regards, Williamson.

Dalexs

Practically Family
Originally posted by Williamson
My wife uses this movie as part of her American author series for her English classes every year. The music, the sounds, the look of the film as well as the costumes give it that Golden Era feel. I remember that this came out the same summer as TOD, 1984, and I liked the similarity of the fedora and clothing style. A real feel good movie for all ages. Regards, Williamson.

COOL! Watching The Phantom in English class!
(I know, I know, but somebody had to say it!) :D

Imahomer

Practically Family
I'm glad you liked it MK. I really thought you would. As I said in an earlier post, it's one of my very favorite baseball movies and I've seen probably every one out there.

So, now that you've seen the movie, what do you think of this prop of mine? "Wonder boy and what a bat it is!"

wonder.jpg

Imahomer

Practically Family
Originally posted by MK
I think we should add it to The Golden Era. Do you have some better photos of it? Do you have a musical instrument style case for it?

I can take some and Email them to you. I've been looking for a suitable case for it, but haven't run across one yet. I believe he used a trombone case.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
With the end of another baseball season it seems fitting to
retrieve this thread from the FL attic. While I am not a Redford
fan, he carries himself well in this baseball flick that is supposedly
based on actual incident/events. The film itself is Golden Era period;
corresponding wardrobe, set, and scene development with
sufficient diamond play to make it all the more worthwhile.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And it's Halloween, when lots of things rise from the dead......

:D

Great music in the film, and the choice between the ladies of light and darkness.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I prefer brunets but will make an exception for Redford

Read the book, which I own, when I had a job running an antique shop. Was the story far-fetched or am I yet again misremembering something I can look up? Will have to bring home the movie from the library.
Maybe I'll watch Ironweed, too, a friend of mine appears in that.

Forrestal

One of the Regulars
Believe it or not, I have a Roy Hobbs baseball card in my wallet right now.
And a New York Knights baseball hat in my closet at home.

I don’t plan on growing up any time soon………
Regards,
Forrestal

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I love the way this movie looks. It's fun. I saw it with my old man and it's one of those kinds of movies...

The book is a masterpiece, though, and the movie made a mockery of the books very poignant, very powerful, very haunting closing. Oh well. I've been wearing the brown corduroy jacket/hat/red and or burgundy tie thing since whenever this movie came out, and when I used to wear the leather jacket and a hat and I got the Indy comment I'd look at the commentor just as if he and or she was speaking Hyperborean and I'd say, Indiana Who? I'm dressed like Roy Hobbs.

Oh the fun we had. :rolleyes:

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many

By the way (five years later!), the majority of this film was shot in and around Buffalo, NY. The Knights stadium was the old War Memorial stadium in downtown. The Chicago stadium was where my high-school football team played. The hotel is the Ellicott Square Building, the train station our old train station, Parkside Candies is on Main St. and my wife used to work there - on and on. Although most of these places (except the Ellicott Square, which is marvelous condition and the stadium, which was torn down) have fallen into disrepair, sadly. But, and this according to the DP, one of the main reasons they kept shooting in Buffalo, after having initially been only scheduled for two weeks, was the light! It has that golden hue during the summer which really gave this film its warmth. Oh, and by the way, I was one of the MANY folks in dark trousers and white shirts (with my own fedora) who volunteered to be extras in the game scenes. It was a hoot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy