Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

Members of the newly formed Oregon Extension Service posing on the engine pulling the Dairy Demonstration Train that toured the state in 1912. I like the guy toward the middle of the group with the crease clip on his center dent.
HC 939 Dairy Exhibit Train c1915.jpg

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That was a great time for men's clothes. Don't some of the hats look to be of a later date, though? I'm thinking of the gent in the lighter-colored suit at the bottom left and the guy on the top left.

The date of this image is based on the event in 1912. It is interesting that the hats do show some "later" looking wider brims. As I have looked at a number of hat ads from this era, there was quite a variety available. One thing that is fairly universal is a center dent, with side pinches on the majority of men's styles in the teens. The crease clip seen just below and to the left of the number on the engine smokebox is common for the period. I have a hat being made right now that is an homage to this era. I'm looking for a vintage crease clip to give the crown a more 1912 look.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The date of this image is based on the event in 1912. It is interesting that the hats do show some "later" looking wider brims. As I have looked at a number of hat ads from this era, there was quite a variety available. One thing that is fairly universal is a center dent, with side pinches on the majority of men's styles in the teens. The crease clip seen just below and to the left of the number on the engine smokebox is common for the period. I have a hat being made right now that is an homage to this era. I'm looking for a vintage crease clip to give the crown a more 1912 look.
It is really interesting how little men's clothes changed before the 1960's or so. Some of the guys in that photo wouldn't have been out of place in the 1950's. When I think about it, though, I realize that I don't dress today very differently than I did forty years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner