Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

Hoyt Clagwell

One of the Regulars
CCF01162012_00000-1.jpg
[/IMG]

This is my grandfather(as in "Have some faith"),two uncles and neighbour back at his farm after a succesful northern hunt in 1952. Grandpa is on the right, next to his truck.

Last edited:

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
My grandfather in the Drumright Oklahoma oil fields in 1932 with his crew. He is in front on rightl
Levi.jpg

Another picture of him about the same time. How anyone could wear a white shirt and silverbelly stetson in an oilfield is beyond me.
LeviChandler2.jpg

Hoyt Clagwell

One of the Regulars
My grandfather in the Drumright Oklahoma oil fields in 1932 with his crew. He is in front on rightl
Levi.jpg

Not one hard hat in the bunch!

How anyone could wear a white shirt and silverbelly stetson in an oilfield is beyond me.

Limited colour choices and very hot days Im guessing. The white and silverbelly would be the coolest.
Great pictures Dan!

Last edited:

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
Hoyt, my grandfather died when my mother was 9. I have a picture of her when she was 16 wearing the very hat he had in the lower picture. she lost it about the time she married my dad--too bad.

Last edited:

Hoyt Clagwell

One of the Regulars
Thats pretty cool. I wish I had kept some of my grandfathers hats. My mothers father died when I was 11. His fedoras hung in the basement for years, and then one day my uncle and grandma cleaned house and had a fire. He was a Czech, and liked his fedoras.
I do have a hat that belonged to my dads father, but it is a cheapo model he bought when he wanted something different than the free seedcorn hats he had been wearing for 10 years. Prior to that he wore some nice ones. He got sick when I was about 14. His health declined gradually and he died when I was 21.

Last edited:

Hoyt Clagwell

One of the Regulars
bigshots.jpg
[/IMG]

April 24, 1954
IH oficials from Chicago and Hamilton meet Charles Cusson at Dorval Airport in Montreal on the occasion of Cusson opening a new 1.25 million dollar base of operations distributing IH Industrial Power Equipment for the Province of Quebec. The plane is Harvesters Douglas DC 3.

Ah the glory days for IHC!

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
Here is my mother with shotgun around 1941 wearing the hat. (my dad said that he had seen that look often ). I have the shotgun now--wish I hat the hat to go with it. I know that when my parents moved from Titusville Florida in 1973 they left a black stetson that was his dads in the attic. Don't you wish you could go threw all the old attics in town?

GraceandLesseiMae.jpg

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ben+Shahn+-+Young+musician+at+Skyline+Farms%252C+Alabama%252C+1937.jpg

Young musician at Skyline Farms, Alabama, 1937
Farm Security Administration-Ben Shahn

See? The second guy on the right supports my belief that "high crowns are a Southern thing." That was reported on this site by the wife of someone a year or two ago, when commenting on how high his hat crown was. The wife was said to have said, high crowns are a Southern thing, and I think that's right. My best fedora is from a Southwestern Virginia hatmaker who seems to make exclusively high-crown hats, as is the custom I bought from him. Obviously he's into that style, and now I am too. I think that by and large, tall crowns are a Southern thing.

Sorry but you are mistaken. Tall / high crown soft felt hats were not exculsive to any location (America, UK, Continental Europe and so on) or time period.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
See? The second guy on the right supports my belief that "high crowns are a Southern thing." That was reported on this site by the wife of someone a year or two ago, when commenting on how high his hat crown was. The wife was said to have said, high crowns are a Southern thing, and I think that's right. My best fedora is from a Southwestern Virginia hatmaker who seems to make exclusively high-crown hats, as is the custom I bought from him. Obviously he's into that style, and now I am too. I think that by and large, tall crowns are a Southern thing.

That makes sense. I wear high crowned hats and live on southern Long Island.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany