Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

36873310990_136b85297f_o.jpg

KarlCrow

One Too Many
Eton college mobilised in 1915. They did it in style.

View attachment 86250
they still dress much the same, i went to a university with a pile of them a few years ago and to a man they can tie a bow-tie single handed whilst running down a stairs. To a man they also yearn for modern feudalism but that's neither here nor there.

they still dress much the same, i went to a university with a pile of them a few years ago and to a man they can tie a bow-tie single handed whilst running down a stairs. To a man they also yearn for modern feudalism but that's neither here nor there.
Tried to tie a bow tie once; took me a couple of days and a few hours of youtube videos before I figured out what on earth was going on (and I know how to tie a tie)!

KarlCrow

One Too Many
Maybe he butchered something other than animals?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Poole
yeh i read that cause i knew i'd heard that name / seen a similar image before. Day Lewis 'channelled' him in Scorcese's Gangs of New York, whatever that means. But then I find Day Lewis a bit much, and gave up half way through 'Lincoln' as as far as I could see and hear he was chanelling Mr. Burns from The Simpsons.

yeh i read that cause i knew i'd heard that name / seen a similar image before. Day Lewis 'channelled' him in Scorcese's Gangs of New York, whatever that means. But then I find Day Lewis a bit much, and gave up half way through 'Lincoln' as as far as I could see and hear he was chanelling Mr. Burns from The Simpsons.
I never was able to get thru "Gangs..." either but enjoyed him in "Lincoln".

KarlCrow

One Too Many
I never was able to get thru "Gangs..." either but enjoyed him in "Lincoln".
i probably shouldn't have mentioned the mr burns thing in case anyone who reads it hasn't seen it. Apparently I ruined Lincoln for a friend as I'd mentioned it and then that's all he could hear too. Pity cause unlike the cool kids I generally like anything spielberg touches. I'm sure if I was from those neck of the woods I'd have been more emotionally involved.

For modern audiences, part of the "problem" is that we've all seen Lincoln regularly portrayed by actors with a deeper, baritone voice--Raymond Massey, John Carradine, and Gregory Peck, to name a few. No recordings of Lincoln's voice exist because he died before that technology was invented, but numerous reports and newspaper commentaries exist that mention his higher-pitched "tenor" voice. So Lewis' performance in Lincoln might be more historically accurate, but a lot of people found it off-putting because it didn't match what they've been led to believe.

KarlCrow

One Too Many
For modern audiences, part of the "problem" is that we've all seen Lincoln regularly portrayed by actors with a deeper, baritone voice--Raymond Massey, John Carradine, and Gregory Peck, to name a few. No recordings of Lincoln's voice exist because he died before that technology was invented, but numerous reports and newspaper commentaries exist that mention his higher-pitched "tenor" voice. So Lewis' performance in Lincoln might be more historically accurate, but a lot of people found it off-putting because it didn't match what they've been led to believe.
He should have gone for a nice thespian baritone, I mean if I wanted reality I'd turn on The Simpsons.
P-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy