Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

Did you finish your Christmas shopping?

Black-Friday-Old-Days.jpg

3ff9d50d27d0e46be10158f9b7827334--christmas-windows-christmas-photos.jpg

86d58a72da8424a4a8180d781f2bd2aa--christmas-window-display-christmas-displays.jpg

c9ec17ea82cfb1cce48ccca7ec669994.jpg

db58cd0e4674d25568cd33c99fc806b4.jpg

When I was a kid, Dayton had Rike's. The two rival department stores were Rike's and Elder-Beerman's. Rike's downtown store, the flagship location, was a destination every Christmas. Like many department stores of the era, their Christmas window displays were a destination for families throughout the season, and crowds would gather on the sidewalk outside to see the windows. Kids pressed up against the window, or sitting on Dad's shoulders to get a look. It wasn't Christmas until Dad took us downtown to see the windows. Rike's eventually was purchased by Shillito's, in Cincinnati, then merged with Lazarus, out of Columbus, and was eventually swallowed up by Macy's.

Rikes1.jpg
Rikes2.jpg
Rikes3.jpg
Rikes7.jpg
Rikes10.jpg

And Santa? The real Santa was at Rike's downtown, the others were "Santa's Helpers." The line to see Santa was long, and you had to go through the "Enchanted Forest" to get to him.

Rikes5.jpg
Rikes8.jpg
Rikes9.jpg

Rike's also had "Tyke's," which was a special place where children only could shop. The entrance to Tyke's was about 3 ft. tall, and no adults were allowed in. When you entered the little door, a young elf (probably a UD coed, I remember them always being kinda cute) would usher you around to the areas, so you could buy grandma a little broach, or Dad a tie. You'd then take your booty up to the register, check out yourself, and meet Mom and Dad outside, all your gifts wrapped and your own little secret until you gave them out on Christmas morning.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
If you've ever been to Monument Valley & been inside that cabin (it's a gift store now), looked out the front door then you know it ain't Texas. The opening scene is my favorite:

There's a place north of Abilene and a little south of Lubbock that looks like that , but that's always been one of those breath taking Opening Scenes , John Ford was the best .

HadleyH1

One Too Many
View attachment 99328

"Though it was created in 1913 -- basically a century ago! -- it appears

timeless, almost as if it could have been done last week! In fact, Christina was a REAL person.

Mervyn O'Gorman wanted a series of photos by which to remember his daughter in her youth.

This photo was captured near Lulworth Cove in Dorset. Amazing. For all intents, O'Gorman

succeeded in freezing a moment in time. An image for the ages."

now

that's a nice picture.Thank you for posting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy