Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
IMG_1480.jpeg

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
"I was born in Crafton, Texas. As a boy I sold chicken sandwiches at the railroad station platform at Bowie [Texas]. I waited tables at a hotel, sold soda-pop at the ball games and races on Saturdays, sold newspapers, worked for a doctor for two years taking care of his horse and buggy, sweeping out his office, and, in addition, milked a cow—all for my board to enable me to go to school. I am not ashamed of my early efforts to earn a living."
----- Amon G. Carter, the creator and publisher of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, and a nationally known civic booster for Fort Worth. It was Carter who first began to refer to Dallas as "East Texas" and Fort Worth as "Where the West Begins." He was a fantastic Texas character. Here's a photo of Amon Carter (right) with his good friend Will Rogers in 1935, just a few days before Rogers' death in a plane crash.

IMG_1491.jpeg

"I was born in Crafton, Texas. As a boy I sold chicken sandwiches at the railroad station platform at Bowie [Texas]. I waited tables at a hotel, sold soda-pop at the ball games and races on Saturdays, sold newspapers, worked for a doctor for two years taking care of his horse and buggy, sweeping out his office, and, in addition, milked a cow—all for my board to enable me to go to school. I am not ashamed of my early efforts to earn a living."
----- Amon G. Carter, the creator and publisher of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, and a nationally known civic booster for Fort Worth. It was Carter who first began to refer to Dallas as "East Texas" and Fort Worth as "Where the West Begins." He was a fantastic Texas character. Here's a photo of Amon Carter (right) with his good friend Will Rogers in 1935, just a few days before Rogers' death in a plane crash.

View attachment 583683
Amon Carter with his 3rd wife; a Fort Worth socialite in her own right. Yr not noted.

IMG_4886.jpeg

Mighty44

One Too Many
Feb. 1, 1925: Seven tons of silver are transferred from the Hellman Commercial Trust and Savings Bank at Sixth and Main Streets to the new principal office in the Hellman Bank Building at Seventh and Spring Streets. (LAT)

View attachment 586296

View attachment 586297
Wow that truck looks like a battleship! Yeah, we just went out in our suits and piled it up on a cart—I think we got em all but with all the people we mighta lost a bag off the back….

Panhandle of Texas: XIT cowboys holding copies of Bystander.

1706994665531.png

The XIT was, in a word, vast. It was built in 1885 by a Chicago land and investment company, on 3 million acres acquired from the Texas state government, at a cost of more than 1 dollar per acre. It bordered New Mexico to the west and Indian Territory to the north. By the time Bob Fudge hired on in 1894, the ranch ran around 150,000 cattle. The managers were strict: They banned drinking, gambling, and stock abuse on the ranch, and were not above hiring professional gunmen to “discourage” fence cutters and rustlers. -- C & I Magazine

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW