Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Occult, are you a believer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Viola said:
Skeet addressed what I was thinking: I certainly do believe in an "unseen power that protects" when I wear religious jewelry. But it's not like Wonder Woman's bracelets, I know the stone with the bit carved in it is stone. (Pretty stone, though, I think its turquoise or malachite!) But yeah, focuses thoughts, etc.
It's like a memory assistant.

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
The concept of the occult and witchcraft is that one shall employ objects or entities to bend the will of others or the occurence or things to their will....
A bit like the Nike advertisement- swoosh logo and strap line 'Just Do It' [huh]. I'm serious.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
John in Covina said:

Heh, and the real good luck and protection is for other people: I tend to act nicer and more patient when I have a physical reminder against my clavicle. lol

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
stephen1965 said:
Cheesecake is indeed a pie but they're all puddings deep down...except when they're just 'custard' in which case there's no hope of them ever being pudding.

Ahhh...you speak in....parables! Do you happen to have a few loaves, or fishes? I'm getting hungry....;)

"Skeet"

PS: remember: the thing that makes them "pies" is....the outer shell. We must look beyond the superficial! :rolleyes:

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
Interesting you should say that. I was taught that hair shirts and other such things were part of esoteric school work and were used in order to 'divide attention' , that is not lose ourselves/become infatuated/engrossed in the object of attention. Also taught that they could be used as an alarm clock to 'remember', that is to 'self-remember' - be aware/wake up/not lose oneself again/be vigilant etc..

stephen1965 said:
I am aware of this saying though I don't interpret in the way you do. To me, the 'Christ' is within and it is a name/symbol given in the West to man's spirit. The paths to it are many IMO..

There is a style of interpretation that is considered the best for Scripture, it is called something like Hermenudics, I can't spell it but it sounds like that. The idea is that Scripture is used for interpreting Scripture. Also that the best source is the original language Hebrew, some Aramaic and Greek for the New Testament. Under those condtions the theologians are still working to come up with the best interpretations of the Bible. The other languages have words and conditions that don't simply translate into English. It's like the german word Schiedenfreude, it does not translate into English.

The thing is it's pretty tough, so many can easily miss interpret. Yours is one that is taken by many but is not clearly substantiated by the writings in the Bible. You may take Scripture and tradition and all sorts of other writings and come up with an amalgamation to suit yourself but it can be way off base.

The Ethiopian Eunich on the road was reading the "Bible" of the time and was asked if he understood it. The enuch replied How can I, I need some one to teach me.

As such be aware that many will take the Bible and search thru it to find that which supports their ideas and take much out of context. This is seen daily on TV.

So be careful and cautious as to what you ascribe to the ideas of the Bible, too many try to make God in their own image.

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]....parables!
[/QUOTE]
...all language is metaphorical and all literary works or interpretations are allegorical??

Could be. Now what was Jesus' explanation for using parables?

Viola said:
I don't know. I don't see how one follows from the other. I believe G-d is all-powerful. I also believe that things like shootings and warfare fall under the category of mankind's freedom of choice, and freedom to sin.
Exactly right! But some don't see it that way!

Plus here is kind of a twist- where pietists look at natural disasters such as that tidal wave that killed all of those poor people a few years back or the hurricane and New Orleans and then have the nerve to pronounce that it was a judgement of God.:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn