Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL INDIANA JONES HAT

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RedPop4 said:
Well said, Edward and fatwoul.
RBH, you're exactly right. In they end, most people have no malice when they call us Indy. I got it the other day from the less-than-well-educated campus police monitor in here. Many think they're simply teasing, but with admiriation. I was wearing a grey Borsalino San Remo, so......

It doesn't have to be a bad thing, I agree. I just happen to be one of those who grit their teeth when they hear it. I just know that when I wear my just completed, to this point, B-36 crew cap with patches, I won't hear any "Hey Indy!". I don't suppose I'll hear anything unless some veteran who flew in one recognizes the 9th Bombardment Squadron, 7th Bomb Wing out of Carswell AFB and asks me about it, which I will very pleased about because I love talking to someone who lived what I've attempted to recreate. Then again I can wear my brown fedora. Or the grey one. Won't matter. Not quite the same historical impact.

dean

Jovan

Suspended
mingoslim said:
I can think of worse things than being called Indiana Jones . . . He is about as cool as any movie icon since Humphrey Bogart . . .
And women love him . . .
Nooo, please don't compare him to Bogart. I've said it in another thread and I'll say it again: Harrison Ford is a much better actor by far. Bogart had a couple of moments here and there, but I never quite enjoyed his characters as much as Ford's. [huh]

< humantorch > FLAME ON!!! < /humantorch >

Jerekson: The thread about the bad product, or the bad product itself? :p

Back on topic, I would definitely get any other unofficial hat. That one doesn't even look like a hat I would wear, period. Especially for the price. I want something that actually has as much character as the Indy hat for five grand.

Edward

Bartender
RBH said:
I got it today at Wal-Mart, the lady checking out my items said.
"You look like Indiana Jones" I had on my Campdraft.
But to tell the truth I dont mind it.
I could look like a whole lot worse folks.

Ain't that the truth! It's not something that phases me at all either, I've had way worse. ;)

J.T.Marcus said:
To tell the truth, that's not a bad look. And, did you notice, absolitely no ribbon (or other hatband) on that hat!

Yes, that was the first thing that jumped out at me about it. Looks sorta.... naked. :eek:

The Wingnut said:
The 'cowboy' one really gets me. Most cowboy hats are distinctly styled and look nothing like a fedora...and most cowboys (or wearers of western wear...if you can't ride, rope, throw, and brand or if you don't do it regularly, you're not a cowboy!) wouldn't be caught dead in a suit and tie or without a pair of proper boots.

Back in July, I was out for an evening in black tie. As a concession to the heat, I was wearing an ivory dj (sb, shawl collar) and sporting a Panama. Somwhow this equated "cowboy" to the young man who clearly thought he was being terribly clever calling "howdy pardner" at me. Cowboys obviously dress well round Hoxton.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Jovan said:

Both! The whole dillema is Godawful. I mean, I thought the Dorfman Pacific deal was bad, but this! 'tis not a way to describe it.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sheesh! Saw a $65 all wool Indy hat advertised somewhere the other day that 99.999% of the average persons would say looked fine.:)

mingoslim

Practically Family
I didn't compare them as actors . . .

Jovan said:
Nooo, please don't compare him to Bogart. I've said it in another thread and I'll say it again: Harrison Ford is a much better actor by far. Bogart had a couple of moments here and there, but I never quite enjoyed his characters as much as Ford's. [huh]

<humantorch>FLAME ON!!!</humantorch>

Back on topic, I would definitely get any other unofficial hat. That one doesn't even look like a hat I would wear, period. Especially for the price. I want something that actually has as much character as the Indy hat for five grand.

Simply as Movie Icons . . . Ford is a good actor . . . So Is Liam Neeson . . . But Indiana Jones is an Icon . . . Can you really say the same for any of Neeson's characters?

indycop

I'll Lock Up
deanglen said:
I'll say it again: Next year ALL Fedora wearers will be "Indy". Without exception. You better get to liking it.
dean
Nope I will be angry Indy!!lol :D

And I could say, Indy? are you talking about the hat or the gun?lol

Jerekson

One Too Many
deanglen said:
I'll say it again: Next year ALL Fedora wearers will be "Indy". Without exception. You better get to liking it.

dean

That's not going to be very fun. Not looking forward to it.

Jovan

Suspended
mingoslim said:
Simply as Movie Icons . . . Ford is a good actor . . . So Is Liam Neeson . . . But Indiana Jones is an Icon . . . Can you really say the same for any of Neeson's characters?
Fair enough. I still enjoy Indiana Jones moreso, however.

To be fair, Neeson is more recently well known for playing mentor-swordsman types. Star Wars and Batman Begins immediately come to mind.

mingoslim

Practically Family
Iconic Movies have non-iconic roles . . .

:eek:fftopic:
Jovan said:

To be fair, Neeson is more recently well known for playing mentor-swordsman types. Star Wars and Batman Begins immediately come to mind.

:eek:fftopic: Sure, Neeson was in both films . . . But I would call neither role iconic. Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, and Yoda are iconic . . . and perhaps, in a bad way, so is Jar Jar Binks.;)

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Jovan said:

Seems like that's an apples - oranges comparison.

Harrison Ford is an actor. Humphrey Bogart was a movie star.

Entirely different things but easily confused.

Mark.

Edward

Bartender
Twitch said:
Sheesh! Saw a $65 all wool Indy hat advertised somewhere the other day that 99.999% of the average persons would say looked fine.:)

If they're the same ones that I saw on sale at the Indy ride at EuroDisney in '05, they really were pretty nice. I didn't have the cash then, but I was tempted. Nowadays, I'd wait and pay the extra for a fur, but those were nice hats (especially if it wasn't something you were gonig to wear wih any great regularity).

flylot74

One of the Regulars
I have found this phenomena of "official" to be fairly universal in product marketing. Understand that most people in business are not enthusiasts of the products they sell. It's not just hats, it's racing bicycles, musical instruments, auto accessories, what have you. The guy "doing the deal" at DP probably doesn't know jack sh*t about hats, nor does he really care, he does deals. He could go to work for Proctor and Gamble tomorrow and never miss a lick.

Most large organizations are run that way. In the airline business, airline people don't really run it, it's the marketing guys and finance guys. Most haven't a clue how an airplane does what it does. Consequently, they make poor choices because they fail to ask pilots just what an airplane can do. After all, they know everything, THEY graduated from Wharton! Why should they ask a pilot or a mechanic? Never mind the 777 they put on the LAX to New Zealand route can only take 40% of the seating capacity because of the fuel load. "Fuel, what's fuel got to do with it?" "What does gross weight have to do with anything?"

Hats are no different.

I remember years ago, the Eddy Merckx racing bikes when they came out for sale. Eddy was even involved in the deal. Were they made like his? Of course not! It's all about the deal, not about authenticity.

Turn on the blue light, the man wants a blue suit!

Jerekson

One Too Many
Jovan said:

mingoslim said:
:eek:fftopic:

:eek:fftopic: Sure, Neeson was in both films . . . But I would call neither role iconic. Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, and Yoda are iconic . . . and perhaps, in a bad way, so is Jar Jar Binks.;)

Ah, let's not forget Rob Roy, now shall we?

Jerekson

One Too Many
surely said:
:eek:fftopic: have y'all noticed the widespread increase in the use of "iconic" or am I just waking up?

If anyone here has ever played the game Star Wars Galaxies...well, I won't go there...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit