Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The OFFICIAL Sinatra Hat

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
tonyb said:
Among the many things to be said for NOT being a celebrity is that there is little chance your name and/or likeness will ever be used to market tacky, chintzy merchandise such as that "official" hat.
Call me crazy, but I'm getting the impression that you guys don't like that Sinatra hat.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Brian Sheridan said:
The Sinatra Family is now selling an "official" Sinatra Fedora.

The lazy sizing of the hats available kind of bugs me.

But the liner looks cool.

See it here: http://www.sinatra.com/store/gifts/sinatra-fedora

Discuss.

Let me be perfectly honest here. The hat itself looks good, I'll give it that, but it's made of wool felt, and not fur felt like Sinatra would have very, very likely worn back in his heyday, as opposed to what's being showcased here. That's too bad. With a name like Sinatra, they could have created a decidedly high end and stylish fedora of real fur felt instead of wool.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Tiller said:
I'm still searching for a look alike to his famous bluish gray summer hat myself. If they got a deal to start selling them, and they actually looked halfway like the original I'd buy it. But that's wool felt hat... just no... Although it maybe a way to get a few more people interested in hats. Always try to be positive right?

frank-sinatra-studio--c117375311246646778.jpeg

I spent some time in the past looking for one like it, too. Had to settle on something a bit similar...:(

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
And don't blame me for the crappiness of the hat..I just posted it. :)

As for Nancy Sinatra -why do celebs think that plastic surgery look is good?

I've read that casting agents are having a harder and harder time finding older actresses that don't look so fake.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Mr E Train said:
sinatraQ.jpg

I believe that's a Milan straw pork pie, here's another shot of it. Someone around here recently posted on that looked really close to that but a different color, with the same shape and a similar pleated pug. I think it was CRH.

I have one sort of like that, but it's not grey. It's a time-burnished natural. The brim's probably wider than that one, too.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Someone was going to make a felt one by ordering Art's spumoni in powder blue and matching the pug. I thought it was a great idea then, and I still like it. The spumoni is a traditional milan block.

Boodles

A-List Customer
I always thought this hat was black!

I think this is the first color version of this photo I've seen. If the hat is bluish gray what color would you guess the pug is?

Tiller said:
I'm still searching for a look alike to his famous bluish gray summer hat myself. If they got a deal to start selling them, and they actually looked halfway like the original I'd buy it. But that's wool felt hat... just no... Although it maybe a way to get a few more people interested in hats. Always try to be positive right?

frank-sinatra-studio--c117375311246646778.jpeg

Adcurium

A-List Customer
THE Sinatra hat

Eh, I don't think it is soo bad. It's a hat. What's shameful or upsetting about it? I'm willing to bet the quality is no better or worse than many of the other new production hats one can buy nowadays.

As far as the Sinatra name is concerned, I'm sure THIS is exactly what Sinatra would have wanted. Every father busts their rear end to provide for their family. And "A LOT" is never enough. You can never have 'too much money' when it comes to providing for your kids and grandkids. I'm willing to bet that the way his estate markets the Sinatra name is a well-orchestrated business plan set into motion decades ago when the Chairman was sitting with his Estate Lawyer. "Then, once you're dead, the trustee of the estate can chose to market the Sinatra name and image to produce continuous income for the estate."

As a father, I know that when I go on the journey from which no man returns and can no longer provide for my family, I would want them to do whatever it takes to benefit form the fruits of my labor. He's dead. Putting his name on hats and shirts and ties doesn't dillute the real product (the music) but it keeps your kin flush with cash. I WISH I was famous and my kids and grandkids could use my name as a marketing device. What's more valuable then giving your heirs a name that they can decide to put on hats and ties and shirts and pay their bills for the rest of their lives?

To me, it makes Sinatra cooler. A father who takes care of his kids forever. A father's job is to provide for his family. He did it better than 99% of us can ever hope to do.

Anyone who thinks this is 'selling out' either 1.) isn't sharing in the residuals or 2.) isn't putting Sinatra in a real-world context as a dad and a business man.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Adcurium said:
Eh, I don't think it is soo bad. It's a hat. What's shameful or upsetting about it? I'm willing to bet the quality is no better or worse than many of the other new production hats one can buy nowadays.

As far as the Sinatra name is concerned, I'm sure THIS is exactly what Sinatra would have wanted. Every father busts their rear end to provide for their family. And "A LOT" is never enough. You can never have 'too much money' when it comes to providing for your kids and grandkids. I'm willing to bet that the way his estate markets the Sinatra name is a well-orchestrated business plan set into motion decades ago when the Chairman was sitting with his Estate Lawyer. "Then, once you're dead, the trustee of the estate can chose to market the Sinatra name and image to produce continuous income for the estate."

As a father, I know that when I go on the journey from which no man returns and can no longer provide for my family, I would want them to do whatever it takes to benefit form the fruits of my labor. He's dead. Putting his name on hats and shirts and ties doesn't dillute the real product (the music) but it keeps your kin flush with cash. I WISH I was famous and my kids and grandkids could use my name as a marketing device. What's more valuable then giving your heirs a name that they can decide to put on hats and ties and shirts and pay their bills for the rest of their lives?

To me, it makes Sinatra cooler. A father who takes care of his kids forever. A father's job is to provide for his family. He did it better than 99% of us can ever hope to do.

Anyone who thinks this is 'selling out' either 1.) isn't sharing in the residuals or 2.) isn't putting Sinatra in a real-world context as a dad and a business man.
What's interesting to me is that a commercial enterprise has calculated that fedora hats of a particular style are cool enough to sell. Somebody must have looked at the market to say, "I think we can move a bunch of these things if we name Sinatra." Apart from whether the product is good or not, it's a statement in the marketplace about what people will buy, mostly young people, no doubt. So to refer to Sinatra style and roll out a fedora line means that somebody with money thinks that young people think hats could be cool, if marketed the right way. Its fascinating.

KK

New in Town
danofarlington said:
What's interesting to me is that a commercial enterprise has calculated that fedora hats of a particular style are cool enough to sell. Somebody must have looked at the market to say, "I think we can move a bunch of these things if we name Sinatra." Apart from whether the product is good or not, it's a statement in the marketplace about what people will buy, mostly young people, no doubt. So to refer to Sinatra style and roll out a fedora line means that somebody with money thinks that young people think hats could be cool, if marketed the right way. Its fascinating.
And part of all that is figuring out the pricing so they'll sell, THEN figuring out how much you want to skim, THEN spec'ing it out so it doesn't take more than whatever remains. Nothing wrong with that. I just ain't buying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner