Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Open road straw...

I bought a $30.00 Cuenca from Panamabob and sent it to Art Fawcett to block in the open road style that was $35.00 so for a total of $65.00 I got myself one "fine woven panama hat".

RBH

Bartender
SHARPETOYS said:
I bought a $30.00 Cuenca from Panamabob and sent it to Art Fawcett to block in the open road style that was $35.00 so for a total of $65.00 I got myself one "fine woven panama hat".

Hey SHARPETOYS I'm thinking about that for next summer. Already spent too much on getting a couple of felt O R's c/b.
Could you post us a couple of pics?

REDKNIGHT1775

New in Town
Thanks

Pilgrim said:
Redknight, I'm jealous. You got a couple of extremely nice hats for a song. They look super, and I'm sure you will enjoy them.

Somehow, wearing an Open Road feels a bit different than other hats. They have such an interesting association with the American West and powerful men. Just look through old pictures of Senators, University Presidents, and UUS Presidents - the Open Road was a common denominator.

Yeah, had to snatch them up at those prices... picked up two more that are vintage with the wind line. They also went for about the same price. I am working each one a little different from the others. The most recent one has a center dent with slight front pinch and snap brim. I'll post pic.s f you'de like of the finished product.

There's probably nothing "wrong" with it, although that liner looks like a more recent one and, as you've undoubtedly heard before, the new ones are generally considered inferior to the vintage jobs. Still, you paid less than a third of what a new OR costs retail, so you did fine.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I don't see anything wrong with that Open Road. Prices vary, and some sell lower than others.

And Redknight, yes, post some pix and let's see where your creativity leads you.

matei

One Too Many
... count me in as well!

Hello all,

I've just acquired an Open Road as well. It is in excellent shape, however it had a cattleman's block. I tried to re-shape it with steam, but it is hard to get those dents out.

IMG_0846.jpg

It is hard to look enthused when you are taking your own pic! ;)

Sadly, the sweat was dry rotted. It looked great, but when I tried to gently fold it down it started to rip. I applied some leather conditioner to it, but no dice. When I tried the hat on - it "popped" - ripped in several places. Only the thread is holding it in place! Oh well... Looks like I'll have to send it to one of the pros for a sweat replacement!

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I guess I'll just have to wait until it arrives. When did Stetson stop selling "long ovals"? And when did they stop putting the hat shop's name in the sweatband?

In any event, it was cheap, looks cool and is in my size. Who knows, it may actually be beaver. :)

Tony in Tarzana said:
I guess I'll just have to wait until it arrives. When did Stetson stop selling "long ovals"? And when did they stop putting the hat shop's name in the sweatband?

In any event, it was cheap, looks cool and is in my size. Who knows, it may actually be beaver. :)

If my sources are correct, Stetson stopped making Long Ovals, Extra Long Ovals and other such special fittings in the 1970s---which coincidentally was when they started to close down the factory. ;) I am not sure about the name on the sweatband though. They still do that don't they?
May actually be Beaver?! Yes, it will be for sure. ;) It says 4X Beaver from a time when that actually meant something. :D I am guessing it will be a blend but that is a pretty good blend for Stetson. It probably cost about $40 new. So you got it cheaper than when it was new. :p
The "diamond" liner was likely a 1960s thing but it does have a brown sweatband that might place it before then. Liners were replaced when they got worn or soiled so that could be what happened here. You'll have to post some pictures when you get it so we can decipher when it was made. Whatever the case, Open Roads made before 1964 were the best Open Roads. I am guessing you got one there. ;)

Regards,

J

P.S.. Anyone know if Stubbs Ardmore is still in business in Oklahoma?

Mulceber

Practically Family
Hi all, I wanted to get an open road, but my hat size is 7 5/8, and I'm doubting I'm gonna find one on ebay in my size, as all the ones I've seen so far have been 7 3/8. I heard it mentioned here that 7 3/8 is more like 7 1/2, so would that be big enough? -Mulceber

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
My latest Open Road

I recently got this Royal Deluxe Open Road for $8.32. It was listed without a picture so I guess nobody wanted to take a chance. I was the only bidder. It was the sellers fathers hat and dates to the mid 50s. It was listed as having a few moth nibbles so I wasn't surprised when they were there. But the felt is really superb. The sweatband and liner look like new. Since it has some nibbles I'll probably just wear it to work.

I'm the only one at my place of employment with a workforce of around 400 who wears a fedora so I know I won't look like a clone wearing it.

DSCN0906.jpg

fedoralover

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR