Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

No disrespect intended toward you sentiment, Mr. Allen, and the logic behind your reasoning is solid, however I (and I'm speaking strictly for myself here) for one am not here to promote the wearing of the OR, but rather to enjoy fellowship with others who appreciate it. The more people start wearing them, the less unique they will become, and therefore the less appeal they will hold for me. Part of why I wear any hat (that is not a ball hat) is to set myself apart from the herd.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

I am always amazed that, like when dealing with horses, when I'm buying hats the prices are always up but when I'm selling they are always down???? If I try & do both at same time, nothing worth buying & no buyers taking what I'm offering...

TPD166

One Too Many
I got this older (1960s I think) Open Road 3X last week and it came with cattleman crease as shown, but I decided to try a different bash last night. It really needs to be cleaned and re-blocked, but not unhappy with how it turned out.

theoldnorthwest

Familiar Face
Hello,

Has anyone seen this Stetson liner before. It is from an old Open Road I recently found. I have never seen this liner on any of their hats before and was wondering if anyone had any information about it. Thanks.
hat.jpg

Attachments

• hat2.jpg
    hat2.jpg
    749.9 KB · Views: 783
  • hat.jpg
    hat.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 784
This embroidered last drop liner was used in many of the Open Road and western Stetson styles in the 1950s... it shows up very often. A printed version of this design in muted colors followed and eventually morphed into the brightly colored last drop of the post-Stetson Stetson years.

jskeen

One of the Regulars
I finally got my ticket into the guild! Picked it up off feebay pretty reasonable, after I renegotiated the shipping down to $10 for the hat and box.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stetson-Ope...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It was a little rumpled but basically sound.
%2524_57.jpg

I slid it onto a slightly undersized block so I could get out the worst of the wrinkles in the crown and open it up. Unlike most vintage OR type hats, this one does not have grunge outlining the original cattleman's crease, so it was pretty easy to clean up with a good dose of steam and a little brushing. I pulled the liner and will probably just remove the tape and tuck it back in behind the sweat, rather than sew it in, because the ribbon is fine. the wind trolley ended up placed a bit ahead of the center of the bow where I would prefer it, but other than removing the sewn end and shortening it, I don't know how to adjust it, so if somebody does, Please speak up.
Anyway, it creased up pretty well, IMHO, and after a little wear and some time on a band block it should fit just fine. I got caught in a bit of rain on the way from the house to the shop to snap a couple of pics though. :)

2013-11-26

2013-11-26

2013-11-26

2013-11-26

2013-11-26

From the store in Boston, to an auction from New York, and finally back home to Texas, I wonder just what a long, strange, trip it's been.
2013-11-26

And here it is with a few cousins, L to R; My first true Open Road, Royal De Luxe, A pilgrim that I had Joe Peters at Peters Brothers bash for me, A Shudde Brothers version that Neil Shudde reshaped a while back, A Stetson 7x, and my next project, a major grade Beaver Hat Co. 100% fur that's on the block now.
2013-11-26

Any input on the vintage of the RD OR would be appreciated, btw :)

jskeen

One of the Regulars
Just reverse the direction of the wind string and the button will be behind the bow. nice hat

BTW, I did that first, but it puts the button far enough around the curve that it looks like it's in the back rather than the side, and I liked that even less. Minor personal pref type thing, but I'll probably end up shortening and reconnecting it so it will sit in the middle of the bow eventually.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
By shortening the string will get the button where you like it, it also will make it very hard to get on and off the crown without crushing the hat. Its your call.

jskeen

One of the Regulars
By shortening the string will get the button where you like it, it also will make it very hard to get on and off the crown without crushing the hat. Its your call.

That is also true, hadn't thought of that. Guess I'll have to just move the anchor point and see if that will work.

BTW, I did that first, but it puts the button far enough around the curve that it looks like it's in the back rather than the side, and I liked that even less. Minor personal pref type thing, but I'll probably end up shortening and reconnecting it so it will sit in the middle of the bow eventually.
You want it just to the rear of the bow, back by the rear leg of the bow, otherwise, it will be too short to get over the crown easily.
About like this...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy