Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

GoneSolo said:
I do have an inquiry though. I usually see ORs that just say Open Road or Sovereigns that say just that, but this one says Sovereign, Open Road and Twenty. Does anyone have a clue as to why?
I have a feeling that Sovereign is a level of quality indicator. Twenty is usually noted as $20 and also a level of quality.

Look forward to seeing it all cleaned up and bashed ala fedora style.

GoneSolo said:

For your consideration, I just picked this one up. It has the cattleman's bash and the brim is shaped every which way, but I plan on fixing that. I do have an inquiry though. I usually see ORs that just say Open Road or Sovereigns that say just that, but this one says Sovereign, Open Road and Twenty. Does anyone have a clue as to why?

John is right. The Twenty means it cost $20 when it was new. Looking at my old price chart from the early 1950s, The Sovereign cost $20 so that makes sense as well. The Open Road is the style of the hat and does not refer to the quality. They cost anywhere from $10-15 all the way up to $100.
I have a Lee 100 coming that I will post when I get it. ;) :D

Regards,

J

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think the shape of your OR is great GoneSolo. I have a Sovereign Twenty from 1945 and the felt is nothing short of quality.

mingoslim

Practically Family
I just picked up not one, but two . . .

I just picked up not one, but two Open Roads . . . one a 4X and one a Royal Deluxe . . . Both are supposed to be like new, and I would guess are of newer vintage. Both have the Cattleman bash . . .

I paid more than I wanted to . . . fact was, I only intended to buy one, but as luck would have it, I won both . . .

My intention is to rebash them as fedoras, and I will post both before and after pics of them after they arrive.

CasaBlancaChuck

Familiar Face
Open Road "stingy brim"?

Greetings, and please accept my humble appilication to the Open Road Guild. I have 14 Open Roads of varying vintages and shapes. I recently acquired an absolute mint Open Road 25 complete with the wind trolly and a stitched in hat liner. I have several exactly like this one with the exception of it's an exact 2 inch brim. It has the original edge trim so I don't think the brim has been trimmed. All my others vary in brim width, but none that "stingy". It's become another variation of my favorite hat...they all seem just a bit different. I have shaped it with the center dent and pinched front as are most of my others. Does anyone else have the 2 inch "stingy brim" Open Road, and what do you think of it? I also have an Open Range (I have only seen the one) much like the Open Road without the edge trim...possibly my all time favorite. I would like to show pictures, but haven't found the knack...they're either too big, too little, or off center.
Best wishes,
Chuck

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
I'm *this* close to picking up an Akubra Campdraft to satisfy my desire for an Open Road-style hat, but I just can't settle on a color. According to Ron at the Hattery:

"The Campdraft is available in all the same colors as the Federation except Carbon Grey, plus Blue Grass Green and Sand (Silver Belly). Some sites offer Sky Grey and Carbon Grey but these are no longer available."

So, since I don't do black hats, that leaves:

Mid Brown
Tawny Fawn
Blue Grass Green
Sand (aka Silver Belly, apparently, in Akubra's parlance)

Thoughts? Opinions? I have Mid Brown and Carbon Grey Federations already, so I'm leaning Tawny Fawn or Sand, but it's hard to decide.

RBH

Bartender
Atomic Glee said:
I'm *this* close to picking up an Akubra Campdraft to satisfy my desire for an Open Road-style hat, but I just can't settle on a color. According to Ron at the Hattery:

"The Campdraft is available in all the same colors as the Federation except Carbon Grey, plus Blue Grass Green and Sand (Silver Belly). Some sites offer Sky Grey and Carbon Grey but these are no longer available."

So, since I don't do black hats, that leaves:

Mid Brown
Tawny Fawn
Blue Grass Green
Sand (aka Silver Belly, apparently, in Akubra's parlance)

Thoughts? Opinions? I have Mid Brown and Carbon Grey Federations already, so I'm leaning Tawny Fawn or Sand, but it's hard to decide.

Hey Glee, tough choice!!!
I have the tawny fawn, and I love it. To me there is just something about a brown, light brown fedora. I think I would like the Blue grass green, but am not so sure about what it would go with. As far as the silverbelly color that is not very hard to come by in an Open Road or O R type fedora, even in my size {a 7 1\2}.
What I love about the Campdraft is it is an open crown, I have not been lucky enough to find an open crowned Open Road.
Good luck and keep us posted.

plain old dave

A-List Customer
openroad.jpg

Here's mine... While I *do* look like a park ranger, I have since flattened the hat out a mite....

mikepara

Practically Family
Here's a couple of my XXXXXXX. Tried messing with the brim, but I like it like this. OR Stetsons are great... Now where did I leave those longhorns?

DSCN4121.jpg

DSCN4119.jpg

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Well, I couldn't resist any longer - there is now a silverbelly Campdraft with my name on it somewhere in Australia. When I get it, naturally, pics shall be forthcoming.

Hopefully this will be enough to at least grant me a minor-level membership in the Guild. :)

RBH

Bartender
Atomic Glee said:
Well, I couldn't resist any longer - there is now a silverbelly Campdraft with my name on it somewhere in Australia. When I get it, naturally, pics shall be forthcoming.

Hopefully this will be enough to at least grant me a minor-level membership in the Guild. :)
Hey AG, dont think you will regret it! Look forward to some photos and look forward to seeing the silverbelly from Akubra.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Guild members -- how high are your crowns?

I'd be curious to know if there is a typical crown height that you guys have on your OR's. Mine come in at a typical height of 4 1/2 to 4 5/8 inches at the highest point. Interesting to see how much variation there is out there...

Cheers,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles