Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

phre7

New in Town
OR with brim snap

John in Covina said:
I need to see a photo of someone wearing it like that to give any opinion.

Only have 2 Open Roads. The tan one in the avitar is always worn with the front brim turned down. Soon it will be sporting a 1 1/2 inch ribbon and bow. I havn't decided how I want to shape the silver belly.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
PutALidOnIt,

You look so classically noir that I want to use the picture of you below as my avatar... and when I get around to making that forties crime movie I've been planning for decades I'll want you to appear. I'm not joking, not even a little. You suit the look.

Mallory.jpg

Cheers.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
PS:

If you don't want me posting gigantic pictures of you, just let me know. I'll understand if you want it removed. :rolleyes:

Pilgrim

One Too Many
An Open Road in action

Someone asked a while back for a reason to wear an Open Road in a cattleman's bash.

Here's a picture of me, my wife and oldest daughter last fall when they presented her varsity softball letter. An Open Road is perfect for sitting outside on a mild fall day, watching softball...and I think it looks very appropriate, too.

Softball photo

And by the way, I STILL can't get a photo to insert into a post using the "Insert Image" icon in the composition window. When I click that link and it generates the

PutALidOnIt said:
That's powerful quad Open Road collection, the brown Mallory really catches my eye, although they are all really nice.:cheers1:

J.B.

Practically Family
Cattleman's?

Pilgrim said:
Someone asked a while back for a reason to wear an Open Road in a cattleman's bash.

Here's a picture of me, my wife and oldest daughter last fall when they presented her varsity softball letter. An Open Road is perfect for sitting outside on a mild fall day, watching softball...and I think it looks very appropriate, too............

I agree, Pilgrim. Ya look great! Nice family!

I guess I can think of two reasons in favor of the cattleman's bash...

Reason number one is the bash's distinctive, incomparable style. It's just that the Open Road has seemingly been a very, very popular offering in the Stetson line since its introduction and has certainly inspired many imitations?! Accordingly, it stands to reason that many of the "average Joe" purchasers have been, are, and will be buying them 'cuz they like the stock hat the way she comes out of the box?! (Although I do understand the fascination of re-making a vintage hat that's in bad shape into a different "do" while you're at it...)

Anyway, I love the cattleman's bash. I think that some of the cattleman OR's popularity over the years is in its finding that singular niche between a fedora and a cowboy hat?! I never get a raised eyebrow when sporting a C.B.O.R. -- to me, it's more conservative than a fedora.

Reason number two is extremely personal. I'm not sure it would mean anything to anyone but me...

...sooo, to make it short (and non-political) -- I like wearing a C.B.O.R. as a "tribute by empathy," a communion of headgear if you will -- with a guy who was my Commander-in-Chief a long, long time ago in a place that sometimes I think was just a dream...

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the compliments, guys. Jake! No sweat - I just didn't want to scare anyone off of the lounge after seeing me in full light :icon_smil

You can modify my pic without any copyright or privacy infringement! Or I can make it noir for you, if you like. Biltmore Bob's avatar is one of my permutations of a photo of his.

Oh, yeah, now about the film. Where's the script and when do we start shooting? Can I carry my own .44's instead of those dinky .357's???
Of course, wardrobe will need to procure several copies of that Mallory Dallas, and maybe a Whippet or two custom sized for me...
:cheers1:

Pilgrim said:

Here's a picture of me, my wife and oldest daughter last fall when they presented her varsity softball letter. An Open Road is perfect for sitting outside on a mild fall day, watching softball...and I think it looks very appropriate, too.

Softball photo

And by the way, I STILL can't get a photo to insert into a post using the "Insert Image" icon in the composition window. When I click that link and it generates the tags, nothing appears at all. If anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong, I'd appreciate knowing.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://image42.webshots.com/43/4/79/91/2487479910055586528lvEika_ph.jpg

Like this? Just copy the link to the photo into the
insertimage.gif
after the box appears. Getting the picture address is easy. Just right click, choose properties. The address for the picture will appear. Copy that into the abovementioned box and you are set.

Regards,

J

maintcoder

A-List Customer
Hooray!

I just joined the ranks of you esteemed Open Road owners with the delivery of two hats yesterday! I will post a few pictures once I clean and re-bash them into fedoras this weekend.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I found my OWN Open Road to be the best deal...

Jamespowers, thanks. I'll keep trying to make the image link work - what you describe is exactly what I've been doing and the photos don't appear in my post.

SO - I had an Open Road to sell, and probably because I was honest about a small crack in the felt, the bids totaled $16.75.

My Open Road Auction - ended

Those bids are inadequate for a hat in this condition, which aside from the crack is in excellent shape. That's why I had a reserve, and it worked.

SO - I'm keeping it! I've been wanting one to shape into a fedora, and since it started life as a 7 1/8, I'm confident I can stretch it into a 7 1/4. I'm not going to get a better hat for less money, and I already own this one. I only have about $40 into it, so why not?

I'll probably try the fabric tape method of crack repair described by Art - and if I get REAL brave, I may try the scrape-and-fill method of felt patching. Anyone want to share more detail on that method?

So you can count me as a three-time member of the Open Road guild: one tan and one dark grey for the cattleman's bash, and one light silver belly for a fedora bash.

Pilgrim said:
Jamespowers, thanks. I'll keep trying to make the image link work - what you describe is exactly what I've been doing and the photos don't appear in my post.

I just looked at the picture I posted of yours and the picture doesn't display now. It did at the beginning. Did you make any changes to the picture? Hmmm... There is something strange about that. Try photobucket.com as a picture hosting site. It is free and my pictures seem to show up every time. :)

Regards,

J

PutALidOnIt

One of the Regulars
RBH said:
While watching a Thin Man movie on TCM the other day I thought I saw a O R in one scene where Nick was talking to a reporter. Has anyone else noticed this or was I mistakened?

Which one of the series was it? I have all of them and can try a frame-by to check it out. Of course it could be a Dobbs Westward, a Malory Dallas, or?????
The Thin Man (inventor murdered)
After the Thin Man (Nora's no-good brother-in-law murdered)
Another Thin Man (3 murders, and first one with Nick, Jr)
Shadow of the Thin Man (Jockey murdered) lots of good hats in this one...
Thin Man Goes Home (murder on the front porch, painting is red herring?)
Song of the Thin Man (Jazzers everywhere with Keenan Wynn shuckin' and jivin')

...hope this helps to figger out whodunit...

RBH

Bartender
Sorry bout that. It was ''Shadow of the Thin Man '' and I think it was in the police station and Nick was talking to a reporter.
The Thin Man movies are so good. My family has had serveral wire fox terriers like Astor. Those dogs are a hoot.
Anyway, I love watching these old flicks cause you always see some great hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner